There must be an instructional booklet somewhere...

MechVM - A MechWarrior 2 remake.

Moderator: Skyfaller

Tim.A
I.S. Mech Washer

There must be an instructional booklet somewhere...

Post by Tim.A »

Okay, so I was just about to start using MechVM. I open it up, have a look at it and within 5 seconds I get confused. I had a look around on the file, mech2.org and within the program but I see no information that tells a beginner how to use this. So, will anyone teach me how?
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Re: There must be an instructional booklet somewhere...

Post by Skyfaller »

Tim.A
I.S. Mech Washer

Post by Tim.A »

Skyfaller wrote:viewtopic.php?f=5&t=806
All I found there was a way to install MW2. I thought it was a way to modify the game...
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

What kind of mod would you like to make? This is difficult stuff. Depending on what you want to do, you need to know about things such as hex editing, command line tools, 3D modelling and more. I am not going to teach you all of those things, you can find relevant tutorials on each of these topics if you query your favourite search engine. But if you master these things, you will find relevant information in the modding&development forums, and the binary forum in particular. Whatever you want to do, it will take a lot of effort, time and devotion.

I am not going to write a tutorial on all aspects of MechVM.
Tim.A
I.S. Mech Washer

Post by Tim.A »

Skyfaller wrote:What kind of mod would you like to make?
I was planning to make a full blown campaign... I know, it's going to take forever.

Skyfaller wrote:I am not going to write a tutorial on all aspects of MechVM.
So it can do more than just installing games? I thought so. But I would like to know how the program itself works. If you aren't interested in writing a complete and total guide on how it works, how about getting a vast collection of contributors to write out the tutorial?
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

I'd be happy to see a new campaign. MechVM implements its own shell, which would easily allow adding your own briefing and debriefing texts. You would still have to understand the BWD format for creating levels, enemies and defining mission goals. What we found out about the format is recorded in the "Binary" subforum of "Modding&Development". Most importantly:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=406

Further useful posts:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=604
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=448&start=10

PRJPP is part of MechVM, I'll have to post a new version. I was experimenting with alternative enemy stars, but haven't published a new version of the tool yet. Older versions of the tool can be found in various patches provided by Col. Kell and me.

Also, for using MechVM shell, you will have to understand the scripting language that powers it. It uses XML notation. Examples can be found in the campaigns folder of MechVM.

Making completely new levels is rather difficult. I would suggest you start by modifying existing levels.
Tim.A
I.S. Mech Washer

Post by Tim.A »

Skyfaller wrote:You would still have to understand the BWD format for creating levels, enemies and defining mission goals.
Oh yeah, I remember opening one of those in a .txt file. I got nothing of value from these in this format.
Skyfaller wrote:Further useful posts:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=604
Noob alert, I don't understand how it works, I tried to look for the right Java program to make it go but there's nothing there that involves a "Java 6 runtime". I also tried to run it in a Java Platform SE Binary but nothing happened. Absolutely nothing.
Skyfaller wrote:Also, for using MechVM shell, you will have to understand the scripting language that powers it. It uses XML notation. Examples can be found in the campaigns folder of MechVM.
I heard of XML before, Isnt that the thing used to make saved games in flash games?
I just downloaded a program to make it legible but I keep getting syntax errors. Is everything okay?
Skyfaller wrote:Making completely new levels is rather difficult. I would suggest you start by modifying existing levels.
Good idea, I was about to start small too, changing BGM, gravity etc etc. This doesnt seem to hard. Getting it off the ground seems different. :evil:
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

You will need a hex editor for viewing data in binary form. You will need to learn about heax values. The "View File" button in MechVM allows you to browse a number of file types. This is most useful for analyzing the MW2.PRJ. You can take PRJPP from one of the posted mods. If you start a command line, and run PRJPP, it will list the switches. Mods based on PRJPP usually consist of a batch file, PRJPP, and some binary files. The batch files are almost human-readable to the trained eye. PRJPP will let you decompile the BWDs to XML, which can be edited in a text editor. PRJPP runs natively on the command line, it does not require Java JRE. unwasm requires JRE.

Like I said, it's difficult. But feel free to ask, I will answer when I find the time.
Tim.A
I.S. Mech Washer

Post by Tim.A »

Skyfaller wrote:You will need a hex editor for viewing data in binary form.
I got XVI32. Will that do?
You can take PRJPP from one of the posted mods. If you start a command line, and run PRJPP, it will list the switches. Mods based on PRJPP usually consist of a batch file, PRJPP, and some binary files. The batch files are almost human-readable to the trained eye.
How do I get it to show the switches? I started Command and typed in Start PRJPP (With the path and everything) and it started it like when I opened it normally.

BTW I worked with .bat files before so they are readable for me. :) No trouble there!
PRJPP will let you decompile the BWDs to XML, which can be edited in a text editor.
I found out that XMLs can be opened and worked with by using a simple .txt. Looks like I didn't need to download all those XML readers. :roll:
But how do I decompile the .BWDs to .XML? There must be a program on mech2.org but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I'll start looking as soon as I submit this.

It's difficult getting the thing off the ground but if I ever get the chance to have it work successfully, its worth it.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Tim.A wrote: I got XVI32. Will that do?
You should be fine using XVi32.
Tim.A wrote: How do I get it to show the switches?
Open a command line in PRJPP's directory, then just type PRJPP - no start in front of that.
Tim.A wrote: But how do I decompile the .BWDs to .XML?
There are three ways to represent BWD data. The first way is to work with the hex data immediately. The second is to use the wasm/unwasm pair of tools. You can decompile BWD files to XML using MechVM (View File, browse for file, then use the context menu for a file), but the reverse way (XML -> BWD) is not yet implemented in either MechVM or PRJPP. So decide whether you would like to use XVI32 or wasm/unwasm.

In order to mod files, extract them from MW2.prj using either MechVM or PRJPP, then edit them as described above, and make a batch file to reinsert them into MW2.prj. In the end, you may want to distribute the patch, consisting of PRJPP, bat and modded bwd files, so keep in mind which files belong to your patch. Usually, keeping the patch in a subdirectory of the game helps. Note also that your patch will be specific to the version of game, i.e. patches for a DOS edition do not work with the windows editions, and patches for GBL do not work with 31stcc.