MechVM - A MechWarrior 2 remake.

Moderator: Skyfaller

Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

MechVM-2009-03-16

Post by Skyfaller »

I have just uploaded a new version of MechVM, featuring
  • Further improved MW2 texture import (needs Mercs, BattlePack or Titanium, still thanks to quota4stupid)
  • Improved support for MW2 sound files (Thanks to ecpeterson)
  • Mech import (and install, though useless) now works under Linux
  • Downloads are smaller, because some files are now distributed as patches rather than as the full files
Download link, link to previous version

With the most important file formats understood, and installers working to the best of my knowledge, it's time to focus on developing the sim now :D
Attachments
MechVM-2009-03-16.png
MechVM-2009-03-16.png (168.12 KiB) Viewed 11287 times
npsbre
House Steiner Sergeant Major
House Steiner Sergeant Major

Re: MechVM-2009-03-16

Post by npsbre »

Nice. I like that screenshot. Thanks for all the awesome work you've done already.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Thanks.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

nice work!

Btw just so you are aware GBL pentium is detected as Battlepack.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Thanks for reporting this, MMPD.

The installer probably mistook another CD for Titanium. It will be fixed in the next release.
quota4stupid
House Steiner Private First Class

Post by quota4stupid »

Skyfaller wrote:I have just uploaded a new version of MechVM
It looks good mate :-)
Skyfaller wrote:it's time to focus on developing the sim now :D
Getting a bit ahead of things here, but are you planning to try to replicate the original AI? If so you might find this useful (I decoded the AIT file format a couple of days ago - missing values for some of the constants though because they don't occur in the MW2 files, or at least not the DOS versions anyway).
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

quota4stupid wrote:It looks good mate :-)
Thanks. Glad to see somebody is around in the forum while America needs some sleep ;)
quota4stupid wrote:are you planning to try to replicate the original AI?
Developing an AI ... well, first I'd like to get the mechs walking in the original levels. In order to make modding the levels easier, I plan to export level descriptions as XML files that reference geometry in the PRJ (.WTB files). Once the mechs are walking and shooting, network and/or AI will have to be developed. While it seems easy to program a simple AI (come to a certain fighting distance with the opponent, then shoot until the mech runs hot or there is no more ammo), creating an AI that is interesting to fight is much more of a challenge.

The other worry I have is networking. I'll have to brush up my network programming skills. Also, I plan that destroyed buildings should sink into a pile of rubble rather than flying around wildly as before.
quota4stupid

Post by quota4stupid »

Skyfaller wrote:Thanks. Glad to see somebody is around in the forum while America needs some sleep ;)
Never mind the timezone difference - I work shift as well, so I'm up at all kinds of hours :-P Sleep is for the weak! ;-)
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

Thanks. Glad to see somebody is around in the forum while America needs some sleep
Bah, I been here all night on irc. :)
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Sir MMPD Radick wrote:
Thanks. Glad to see somebody is around in the forum while America needs some sleep
Bah, I been here all night on irc. :)
Great, my own remark derailed an interesting thread. I guess I need to explain. I wanted to point out that this forum sees a good deal of its action in US evening hours, when I need sleep myself. When I wake, often the first thing I do is to check what I missed. I found little time to monitor IRC lately, so sorry if I offended you, MMPD. I hope this will clear things up a little.

Did MechVM detect a different disk as Titanium/BattlePack? Please look at what drive the button reports.