Hello! And... Missile Bug?

Post up issues you are encountering with MechWarrior 2 here, this includes Netmech.
Forum rules
Search before asking!
No Swearing!
Aiden Pryde
I.S. Mech Washer

Hello! And... Missile Bug?

Post by Aiden Pryde »

Hello fellow Battletech/Mechwarrior gurus! I'm glad I found this place. SDMK's videos helped me get Mech2 working for windows, which is absolutely incredible, and I think there are a lot of people who owe him gratitude. But I've got a little tiny but very annoying issue now with the game. One or two of my missiles sometimes explode early, as soon as they leave their casing, causing slight damage to my own mech. I believe I encountered the same problem while trying Merc in Dos mode, though far less frequently. This is happening like every other salvo. Anyone got in on this?
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: Hello! And... Missile Bug?

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

There is no complete solution to this problem, but it can be lessened.
Run a program called cpu grab in the background.... you will have to tinker with it in order to find the right setting, but it will lessen the problem.
The missile damage is related to the cpu speed. Basically your computer is too fast.

If you are on a Dual or Quad core you will have to run multiple instances of cpugrab in order to solve the problem.
All except for one will need to be run at 100%. The one not at 100% should be started at 13% and move up as you test.
This batch file that archon put together may help.

Alternatively, if you have the DOS version you could run it in DOSBOX.
This has been known to solve the solution for many people, but it too may require cpugrab depending on your specs.
Besides you get multi if you use DOS. :) We still play regularly online, we would love to have ya! Check IRC if you are interested.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Aiden Pryde
I.S. Mech Washer

Post by Aiden Pryde »

Thanks. Sadly, I don't think it works in DOS.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

It will work fine in dos.
CPUGRAB is not related to DOS.
It is related to slowing your system down.
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Aiden Pryde
I.S. Mech Washer

Post by Aiden Pryde »

No, I mean Mech2. Incidentally, does anyone know where I can find an XP computability patch for Mercs?
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Just follow the same steps and mech2.. it is identical..
No, I mean Mech2.
I still do not get what does not work... Mech2 DOS works...
Aiden Pryde
I.S. Mech Washer

Post by Aiden Pryde »

I did follow the same steps as mech 2, but it just crashes as soon as I start. And of course I can't follow ALL the steps, because there isn't an XP compatibility patch for mercs like there is for mech2. And I didn't see a an application to run mech2 in dos. But I haven't looked very hard.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Mercs dos does not need any patch to run on XP.
It just needs nolfb.com just like mech2 does.

Mercs 95 & Mech2 95 both share the same exact hook. If you use slugs hookyou will be up in no time.
Aiden Pryde
I.S. Mech Washer

Post by Aiden Pryde »

Oh, yes! I was using V3, and that only worked on Mech2! This is great! You guys are so helpful! And speaking of, that CPU grab doesn't seem to work all that well for. Anything past 60 reduces performance, and even at 60 the missiles still detonate too early. I'm not sure if it's happening as frequently though. I haven't played in a while. One more thing. When I was younger I think I recall a patch that upgrade vanilla MW2 into a 3D version, like how 1.1 does with Mercs. Am I imagining things, or is that still available. I havn't spotted it here, so I think I might be confusing it with the ATI 3D rage edition, which I used to have, and which I recall was pretty nice. Oh! And is there like a site I can do to see screenshots from all the differant versions of Mech2, and maybe Merc? Because I used to see a lot of images purported to be screenshots that didn't look like anythign I'd ever seen. Like solid laser beams instead of bolts, wispy fog and distinct textures. And no, I'm not confused with Mech3. As of now I think I own all of the mech games for PC except the very first.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Yes, as I said cpugrab is not exactly the ideal solution, but it is the only valid one sadly.
There was no official patch which upgraded the graphics to 3dfx. We did create one a few years ago, but after realizing that it was a bad idea (legal reasons, stability) it is no longer distributed.
Secondarily, the 3dfx version does not look very good when it is emulated.

As for different screen shots, no there is not a site that has a multitude of screens from each version.
There is only one site which has 3 screens side by side.

You might be able to find more screens if you scrounge around on our links list tho.

As for solid beams, no there is not any version which has that.