However, there is no substitute for a good old 300mhz computer.
Anyway with that said here is what needs to be done.
- Install Dosbox
- Create a directory that you would like for the root of DOSBOX. I would suggest C:\DOSBOX_GAMES\ or something like that.
If you are on vista it must be the above directory. DO NOT put it in Program Files or user directories.
- Download Clone CD's demo if you do not own it.
- Insert MechWarrior 2 DOS
- Open Clone CD and create an img/cue of MechWarrior 2, save it somewhere you can find it.
Make sure you check the Create Cue sheet checkbox.
- In your start menu and open the dosbox.conf file.
- At the bottom where it says autoexec put the following lines:
(Please note all parts of this that have paths need to be changed to where your files are.)
mount C C:\DOSBOX\
imgmount D "K:\Virtual CD's\MW2.cue" -t iso
- Install MechWarrior 2 through dosbox.
Answer: DOSBOX cannot detect the cd even if you mount it.
Question: Why should I use DOSBOX instead of running MechWarrior 2 DOS straight?
Answer: The jets recharge better, there are less crashes, and in some cases it will solve the rainbow world bug.
Question: I have Vista will this work?
Answer: Yes! There is no other reliable method to get Mech2 to run in Vista.
For more installation help please see the Non-DOSBOX DOS mech2 FAQ.
Please note the other guide will not be helpful with Vista.