Which Version is easiest to install?

Collection of useful posts.
Forum rules
If you write a FAQ be sure that you are accurate as possible!
No General posts in this forum!
becomethebull
I.S. Baby

Which Version is easiest to install?

Post by becomethebull »

Which version of Mech2 is the "easiest" to install? I'm debating on buying either the DOS verion or the Windows 95 version off ebay. I saw the youtube video for the 95 version, and it seems very easy to follow. Also, is it possible that one version might work over another (I.E if the DOS version doesnt install and work properly, is it worth attempting the 95 version?)
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: Which Version is easiest to install?

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

Well, really each version is easy to install; however, neither are fool proof.
Your question about whether one version may work over another is a very valid point; I am glad you brought it up. DOS installations of MechWarrior 2 have a higher percentage of success over the 95 versions. (The 95 versions no matter what at this stage have more bugs than DOS) That being said, it would be wise if you were to purchase a copy of MechWarrior 2 which has both 95 and DOS on the disc. There are two versions of MechWarrior 2 which has both, the Netmech edition would be the ideal as it was the retail version, but the Pentium version which was not retail is identical so that will work as well.

Just whatever you do; avoid the Titanium versions or the Retail Pentium Edition.
Titanium versions will work and supposedly have better graphics according to some people, but they are missing audio tracks and are buggy.
The Retail Pentium Edition, while not a bad version, it only contains the 95 version of MechWarrior 2; therefore, it should be avoided if you have a choice.

The Netmech Version is a rare find, I do not expect that you will be able to find it; those come by very rarely.
The Non-Retail Pentium Edition on the other hand is very easy to find on Ebay; you just need to look carefully at each posting. You are bound to find it.

If you are unable to obtain either version, look for the version which says IBM CD ROM on the front; that version is dos only, but it should work.
Attachments
Second Best
Second Best
MW2 Pentium Non-Retail.png (84.78 KiB) Viewed 11312 times
Best Version
Best Version
MW2 Netmech.png (158.55 KiB) Viewed 11314 times
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.