Need help on installing mercs

Issues with mercs? Post it up here!
Forum rules
Please provide the following when making a support request.
1. OS & Service Pack.
2. Version of Mercenaries that is being used.
3. If you are using 95 Mercs, please provide what method you are using to run it? (ie. Kontza's or Slugs Hook)
4a. If you are using DOS have you read the install guide?
4b. If you are using 95 have you watched the 95 install video?
5. What were the steps that you did after the initial installation? (if applicable)
Silvaya
I.S. Baby

Need help on installing mercs

Post by Silvaya »

So, I've been craving some old school mech destruction recently, but I've been having some technical difficulties that I need help with. Please read on to see all that I've tried so far...

The current version of Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries that I have has the jewel case that says "Enhanced Direct 3D Video and 3D Positional Sound" on it.

My computer uses Vista Home Premium 32 bit, and I followed all of the directions for installing mercs in DOSBox. Then I patched it to 1.05 and then to 1.06. The game starts, but when I go into instant action, after the "Synchronizing Neurohelmet Interface," the game crashes. This is what I read on DOSBox: "Exit to error: RET from illegal descriptor type 0" (zero).

I've also tried installing mercs in DOSBox on my XP Pro (SP1?) virtual PC, run on my vista computer, and I get the same thing as above. An additional message that I get at the end of the installation is that I need to get VESA support on my graphics card (maybe I need to emulate a different graphics card from the available choices?), probably because it is a virtual PC.

I've also tried thecrankyhermit's 1.1 patch, but it doesn't work for me; I can get into the game, but whenever I try to initiate a mission, it shows the "Synchronizing Neurohelmet Interface," then the screen turns black and I have to force quit. I tried it on an XP virtual PC and I couldn't select "use the primary video driver."

I should also note that I can't use the windows 95 installer because a message pops up in either vista or XP virtual PC saying that the application doesn't support windows NT. Mech VM supposedly has been able to install it, but then it can't run the game, nor can I manually go to the directory and run it.

Anyone can shed some light on my situation? Any suggestions are welcome!
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Re: Need help on installing mercs

Post by Skyfaller »

MechVM supposedly has been able to install it, but then it can't run the game, nor can I manually go to the directory and run it
That raises several questions for me:
  • The game should be installed in <MechVM directory>\games. Why can't you run it from there?
  • Where does it fail when you run it from MechVM?
  • What error messages displayed?
  • Did you create a .CUE image to run the game using DosBox?
I'm not sure if I can help, but it may help if you attach install-report.txt from <MechVM directory>\games.
Silvaya
I.S. Baby

Post by Silvaya »

Will MechVM work on vista? I read the best way to install it on vista is DOSBox. I'll try MechVM again now.

and yes, I made a cue file

Edit: Alright, it installed in MechVM on vista, but whenever I run the DOS versions (native and DOSBox), the process ends immediately. The message that I get is "Process ended with code 0." The Windows 95 version runs, but it is horribly slow, so slow that it is unplayable. I'll upload the install report too.

Second Edit: I patched the DOS versions to 1.06, and then it has the same error as in the first post
Attachments
install-report.txt
(51.42 KiB) Downloaded 55854 times
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

Unfortunately you have the worst version of Mercenaries on the market. I call it the nightmare edition.
It can work, but it is a major pain to get it working.

If I recall correctly the only method that works successfully is Kontza's method.
There might also be another step to it, but I cannot remember what it was atm. There is another thread that deals with this version specifically.

Edit:

I should also point out that the DOS version of mercs on this disc is flawed and does not work no matter what is tried.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Silvaya
I.S. Baby

Post by Silvaya »

I'm pretty sure that I don't have the nightmare edition. I have this version:
mercsD3D_1.10-insert.jpg
mercsD3D_1.10-insert.jpg (140.38 KiB) Viewed 104623 times
mercsD3D_1.10.png
mercsD3D_1.10.png (92.84 KiB) Viewed 104623 times
I checked viewtopic.php?f=9&t=281 before purchasing, and it said this one can be played online and offline.

I'm currently trying Khorg's method on my XP virtual PC. *edit* it didn't work.
Last edited by Silvaya on Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Silvaya
I.S. Baby

Post by Silvaya »

Thanks, but I can't run the 95 windows installer because I get a message saying that it is not NT compatible. So, I'll have to find a method to get the DOS version working

as a last resort, I could buy a 95 windows installer for cheap and get that running on a virtual PC and install and play the game there. perhaps I should do that? it seems like i've tried all of the different methods for installing DOS that were listed here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=806
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

all you do is simply turn the compatibility mode on the setup for Windows 98.

And yes that is the nightmere edition
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Silvaya
I.S. Baby

Post by Silvaya »

oh. now i'm really confused because this edition wasn't listed as the nightmare edition. alright, i'll try the 98 compatibility on my XP virtual PC.

*edit* i see. it was just moved up to the nightmare area. since i'm not planning to use it online, i don't need to get a new version, right?

*edit #2* oh well. i'm gonna just wait a few days until i can install windows 95 and then just use virtual PC to run my games. anyone know beforehand if that will work?
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

I'm sorry it was my fault.
I should have listed it there, but i thought it was such a unique version. It is hard to give a bad rating to such a unique version of the game.
By all mentions it is the most feature pleasing version out of the mercs, yet it has the same problems as the regular D3D edition of mercs.

Regarding the Virtual machine and that.. you might still have trouble depending on which virtual machine you use..
Vmware probably is the one that has the highest chance of working, but still there is no guarantees.