Need help on installing mercs

Issues with mercs? Post it up here!
Forum rules
Please provide the following when making a support request.
1. OS & Service Pack.
2. Version of Mercenaries that is being used.
3. If you are using 95 Mercs, please provide what method you are using to run it? (ie. Kontza's or Slugs Hook)
4a. If you are using DOS have you read the install guide?
4b. If you are using 95 have you watched the 95 install video?
5. What were the steps that you did after the initial installation? (if applicable)
Silvaya
I.S. Baby

Re: Need help on installing mercs

Post by Silvaya »

VMware is quite expensive. here's to hoping that it works on windows virtual PC.

on the plus side, I bought this D3D edition bundled along with the good mech2 netmech edition (listed as the best version on the offline/online list) on ebay for really cheap, so if i really wanted to go online, I can using mech2. and if I can get mercs working on a windows 95 VPC, it should be really good for regular offline play; i just hope it will patch to 1.1. the one in the downloads section is currently having a really hard time patching the game after a clean install...it can't find the directory.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Good luck, and please let us know if it works with Virtual PC.

A number of threads include information on running MW2 in Virtual PC, including:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=707
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=537
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=127

Don't use the NetMech CD for playing NetMech; the version currently played was edited and slightly differs from the original version. Use either the NetMech plugin for MechVM or the NetMech download in the stickied thread.
Silvaya
I.S. Baby

Post by Silvaya »

Alrighty! I got a windows 95 boot CD and went through a long process to install it into my laptop's microsoft virtual PC 2007 (the installation was tough at first because it required a floppy disk to boot up the setup CD, and laptops don't come with floppy disk drives. So I tried to use the floppy disk image mount function of virtual PC, but that didn't work out. In the end, I gave up with the floppy disk image and just downloaded a Win95a boot CD image and just used that to prepare the virtual harddrive, then switched the image to the setup CD after the virtual harddrive was properly formatted. The instructions for the general process can be found here: http://ben.versionzero.org/wiki/Install ... Virtual_PC). Then, I moved the virtual harddrive into an XP computer which had virtual PC 2004, so I could install the handy virtual PC additions for 95, which included additional drivers and other stuff, and then moved it back to my vista laptop (i'm not sure this is necessary, but I might as well mention it). Then I got Mechwarriors 2 Mercenaries Titanium and installed it into the windows 95 virtual PC. The game runs at 640x480 resolution without any patches (Mercs Titanium automatically comes with the mercs 1.1 patch); I haven't tested the jumpjets and all of those other known bugs associated with the newer and faster computers, but I was able to play some other windows 95 games without any problems once I was in the game (starting the games may require no-CD cracks in order to run though *cough* Age of Empires II *cough*).

Sadly, I couldn't get my Enhanced Direct 3D and 3D Positional Sound edition running, but I think I know the problem. The virtual PC cannot emulate the 3D HARDWARE acceleration that the edition requires in win95 mode. I confirmed this because when I installed Mercs Titanium with only SOFTWARE acceleration, it works perfectly; but when I install it using the 3D HARDWARE acceleration option, the environment outside my mech is all white when I enter a mission--the exact same result I had when I played my nightmare edition in win95 mode in the virtual PC.

Concluding thoughts: the white environment bug, and possibly the win95 version of the nightmare (enhanced D3D) editions can be fixed if software is developed that can emulate 3D HARDWARE acceleration. I'll leave that to any programmers who want to take up the challenge. Also, because it is windows 95 that is running in the virtual PC, you can probably play most, if not all, of the windows 95 compatible version of any [mechwarrior] game--don't quote me on that though, since I didn't try that...yet. And lastly, this is for single player only. I suppose that the modified NetMechDOS method works for online play on a vista computer.

Note to people who are interested in this method: A brand new FULL EDITION windows 95 installation CD can be easily and cheaply bought from some sellers on eBay.
jdm5000
I.S. Baby

Post by jdm5000 »

You should probably update the version list, then.. For the "Enhanced Direct 3D Video and 3D Positional Audio" version, you have under its description "However, the redeeming feature is it has Mercs DOS on it." If its DOS version is flawed, that doesn't make it very redeeming.