Cockpit Jitteryness in 95 version versus Titanium

Issues with mercs? Post it up here!
Forum rules
Please provide the following when making a support request.
1. OS & Service Pack.
2. Version of Mercenaries that is being used.
3. If you are using 95 Mercs, please provide what method you are using to run it? (ie. Kontza's or Slugs Hook)
4a. If you are using DOS have you read the install guide?
4b. If you are using 95 have you watched the 95 install video?
5. What were the steps that you did after the initial installation? (if applicable)
ThePorthos
I.S. Mech Washer

Cockpit Jitteryness in 95 version versus Titanium

Post by ThePorthos »

Just noticed that the cockpit in-game is very jittery (not the HUD, just the actual Cockpit glass supports) Is this normal or possibly caused by a bad CD? This is non-existent in Titanium. Windows XP SP3.
Last edited by ThePorthos on Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThePorthos
I.S. Mech Washer

Re: Cockpit Jitteryness in 95 version versus Titanium

Post by ThePorthos »

Other then this, I prefer 95's Graphics over Titanium. D3D 1.1 is really nice. Perhaps there is a polygon cockpit file somewhere I could switch out between the two? The difference in the solidity of the TT cockpit and the Merc 95 cockpit is just insane.

I also tried switching the PRJ files between installations. No difference. That rules out files in PRJ archive having to do with cockpits. Unless I missed something?

I saw 5_HEAD files mentioned as the cockpit interior but I am not sure which archive contains these files? I don't think it was the .PRJ

It could also have had to do with the way I installed Merc 95: http://sites.google.com/site/mw2mercxp/

Thought it was the only way I could get D3D 1.1 working without MechVM (My 95 version doesn't like MechVM)
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

In Titanium, the "u" key will disable the cockpit, but I'm not sure if this applies to Mercs. It may be that you can use a different animation - use the "View File" feature of MechVM to dig into the PRJ and extract and replace some anim files, if you want to take the time to experiment. However, if it is a rounding error, we may not be able to fix it and meddling with the PRJ isn't everyone's cup of tea.

However, there are ways to improve the looks of Titanium. First, the viewing distance patch applies to all editions of MW2. It makes sure you can see the enemies before they start shooting at you. For Titanium, there is a patch to increase the resolution, which MechVM installs into the game directory (_titanRes3.exe). That patch requires you to hit F4 twice before targetting an enemy, however. Finally, did you try to set up a profile for the game in the graphics card's settings? The game looks much better if you force nice antialiasing.

I have bought a Mercs 1.05 on Ebay and was able to fix the detection for that disk. I may be able to publish a new edition of MechVM within the next few weeks, when I'm done with testing the new features.
ThePorthos
I.S. Mech Washer

Post by ThePorthos »

Yes and I love the work you have done with both the far patcher and the resolution patch. The only real thing that bugs me in titanium is you can see through other mechs cockpits at higher resolutions. This is not the case with 95, they reflect like they are supposed to. Also the targetting works at 1600x1200 in 95. I will try messing around with the .PRJ (MechVM is the only program I could find that could edit files in it, so thank you for that.)

As for Anti Aliasing, I can't remember the last time I didn't force 16x ^^

I guess my next question would be, has anyone else noticed this? If not it might just be the method I used of installation.
Bossman
I.S. Baby

Post by Bossman »

Hi there,

I have the red retail 1.05 Win95/DOS disc, and I'm running 1.1 in XP SP3 with the Kontza method. Cockpit jitteriness is there, but just to clarify, you mean when the 'Mech is walking, you see the usual swaying movements of the world outside, but the actual cockpit struts in the 'Mech with you are all super jittery? Kinda like they're dancing around a central axis point at extremely high speeds? I actually thought I remembered seeing that that when I played the game years and years back... thought it was the vibrations of the engine or something, haha. I don't even notice it now, and I played for a week before seeing it, but I have it too. Not sure if it was always there, I thought I remembered it but it's been 15 years, you know? Could be something new that crops up only when running the game on modern OSes.

What is the Titanium Edition of Mercs, exactly? It's the same game we all know and love, yeah? Bundled with the other two MW2 games...? Maybe pre-patched to 1.1? But if that's the case, how come people seem to have particular problems getting Titanium working? Did Activision add better graphics or something else to the game code? How come everybody has Titanium, was it just the commonly-found version at the end of the game's duplication run or something, so now it's the only one people tend to have left? Because as a kid, everybody I know who played Mercs had the red 1.05 disc I possess today, but I do remember other buddies getting special versions of MW2 with certain audio and graphics cards. It is staggering how many different versions of the game there are... I know some of them allegedly have better sound and graphics, but yeah, the DX5 acceleration in 1.1 looks really nice, much better than the DX2 acceleration in 1.05.

I'd love to try and tweak a superior-looking or (especially) superior-sounding version of the game into running on XP, though, if possible. The game's still pretty badass as is, but as an avid game collector I can't suppress my obsessive need to own all versions of a particular title... and MW2 has a lot, way too many, I doubt I can even find most of them no matter how hard I look.

BOSSMAN
MG_Man
House Steiner Private
House Steiner Private

Post by MG_Man »

I know what you mean. It's like any PS1 game. It's hard to explain.

Happens to me too, I just sorta get used to it. I do know it wasn't nearly this pronounced in MW2, though.