MW2: Mercs Win7 Trouble

Issues with mercs? Post it up here!
Forum rules
Please provide the following when making a support request.
1. OS & Service Pack.
2. Version of Mercenaries that is being used.
3. If you are using 95 Mercs, please provide what method you are using to run it? (ie. Kontza's or Slugs Hook)
4a. If you are using DOS have you read the install guide?
4b. If you are using 95 have you watched the 95 install video?
5. What were the steps that you did after the initial installation? (if applicable)
berek_grimgor
I.S. Baby

MW2: Mercs Win7 Trouble

Post by berek_grimgor »

So i used MechVM to install Mercs. Everything went smoothly, i can access the game (although it is windowed) and start a new campaign, go to instant action, enter the mechlab, all seamlessly. however when i try to launch a mission nothing happens!!

if its instant action the screen stutters like its loading the mission (it even makes the launch noise) but then doesn't do anything. just flickers and i find myself back on the lance-mate assignment screen.

and in the campaign i click launch and it takes me to the failed mission screen and all i can do is click replay and do the whole loop over and over.

I'm using Windows 7 beta with a retail version of Mercs.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Re: MW2: Mercs Win7 Trouble

Post by Skyfaller »

Hello berek_grimgor, and welcome to mech2.org!

How do you launch Mercs? There are several options in MechVM's "Play Game" button, and you can run the game manually from DosBox (use <MechVM>\DosBox\DosBox.bat, then type mercs), and you can double-click mercswin.exe in Windows Explorer. Do all of these options fail?

For using DosBox, did you create a CD image with CUE sheet? If not, do so now, then rerun MechVM's installer and point it to the CD image. If none of this helps, please post the file install-report.txt.
berek_grimgor
I.S. Baby

Post by berek_grimgor »

Well i just used MechVM to install and I run the win 95 version.

when i try to run the dos version is doesn't do anything but says something along the lines of "process started at code 0" or some such thing. I'll give a better description when i get home tonight
berek_grimgor
I.S. Baby

Lo and Behold!

Post by berek_grimgor »

So after tinkering with my Win95/Dos Mercs 1.05 (i'm on Win7) and being unable to get it working in MechVM or DosBox. I decided to try my old "nightmare" d3d version of mercs (yes i have two copies). so i popped it in the drive, launch mechVM, install, start game, and lo and behold everything runs like a charm.

i get all the music, movies, gameplay, mechlab, everything. the only hiccup i've seen so far is an occassional 2 second lag at the beginning of some missions but after that not a hitch.

and the only crash i've seen so far was in the first contract when unther says he's gonna take out the trucks. but i replayed and it worked fine.

so any win7 users should be advised that d3d is the version i got to work on Win7.
Solarr8
I.S. Baby

Post by Solarr8 »

Hello. I am having a similar issue except i do not have an already patched mech warrior 2 mercs cd. Mine is the 1.05 version. Is there any way to integrate the patch into the current installation? When ever i try to run the patch utility it hangs at the searching function at the begining. Then it says installation failed. The patcher can't seem to locate the merc files to patch. I could try manually installing the game somehow (even though i can't in win 7 x64 bit) and perhaps after that run the patcher again and then finally copy and paste the files into the game directory in the merc vm folder. Any other suggestions or am i stuck trying to find an already patched merc cd? I guess i could try to torrent it...

edit: well tried moving the folder outside the merc vm folder to the base drive (almost) and ran the 1.1 patch it errored out but continued this time however even though the patch worked this time i still can't get it to load in wondows or dos. i took the _ out of that 1 file too just for kicks.

Update: so i torrented the titanium iso and now i can play hardware accelerated mercs with the mech vm. Looks like the titanum edition is the only way to make it work. Lucky for us we can torrent it. Later all