memory issue with MW2: Mercenaries

Issues with mercs? Post it up here!
Forum rules
Please provide the following when making a support request.
1. OS & Service Pack.
2. Version of Mercenaries that is being used.
3. If you are using 95 Mercs, please provide what method you are using to run it? (ie. Kontza's or Slugs Hook)
4a. If you are using DOS have you read the install guide?
4b. If you are using 95 have you watched the 95 install video?
5. What were the steps that you did after the initial installation? (if applicable)
xUhhOhh
I.S. Baby

memory issue with MW2: Mercenaries

Post by xUhhOhh »

I know you guys are probably sick of all these issues but i have been cruising the internet for days trying to get this game to work. So this is what i have done:

-I run Windows xp pro sp3 and i have not tried to run this on a VM of DOS or 95
-The version of the game is win95 ( at least is says DOS and WIN95 compatible on the disc..i lost the cover forever ago)
-My current method is Slugs Hook...and i have followed the setup for it on this website and at Chris's site as well. I can go step by step if anyone needs me to on what i did
-I was actually successful. It launched.. i created a new campaign and played through about 3-4 missions. then when i was about to blow up a rebel DC Assassin mech... it froze, screen flashed and this error message came up..

"The instruction at "0x2000b95d" referanced memory at "0x02600998". The memory could not be "read"

I cannot find anything for this problem >.<
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Re: memory issue with MW2: Mercenaries

Post by Skyfaller »

Sorry, we don't have the game's source code, so I cannot help you with or even fix this specific issue for you. You're lucky the Win95 version is running, it doesn't always. The game may crash occasionally, so keep saving before and after missions.

If there is a DOS version on the CD, it is usually more stable.
xUhhOhh
I.S. Baby

Post by xUhhOhh »

Skyfaller wrote:Sorry, we don't have the game's source code, so I cannot help you with or even fix this specific issue for you. You're lucky the Win95 version is running, it doesn't always. The game may crash occasionally, so keep saving before and after missions.

If there is a DOS version on the CD, it is usually more stable.
Ah ok thanks anyways. It doesnt allow me to play at all.. every time a start to log into a saved game or create a new one it says that >.<. Think the best way is to try DOS?
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

Yes, DOS is the best way no question
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
xUhhOhh
I.S. Baby

Post by xUhhOhh »

Sir MMPD Radick wrote:Yes, DOS is the best way no question
Question then. I tried to set the Compatability to MS-DOS, but it is not listed. The disc itself says it is compatable. Options in the drop dpwn box are win95, win98, win2000, win nt4.0

Okay just editing this... I think i just installed the Mech VM and it read the DOS version. il update this too. Am i doing this correctly?

Tried the DOS version off the VM...keeps saying Process ending in 0
Tried the Win95 version off the VM...kept skipping

edit* ok tried the DOS version and this time i started up DOS BOX. Bingo!
Now I am just looking how to enable Audio and find my saved games so i can edit them^^
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

to fix the sound in dosbox go for the setsound.bat file in the mech2 directory.
The pilots save files are inside of mw2reg.cfg or something close to that if my memory serves me right. (sorry i have not looked in the dir to verify if it wrong i will)
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.