How to make custom keybinds?

Issues with mercs? Post it up here!
Forum rules
Please provide the following when making a support request.
1. OS & Service Pack.
2. Version of Mercenaries that is being used.
3. If you are using 95 Mercs, please provide what method you are using to run it? (ie. Kontza's or Slugs Hook)
4a. If you are using DOS have you read the install guide?
4b. If you are using 95 have you watched the 95 install video?
5. What were the steps that you did after the initial installation? (if applicable)
onewolf
I.S. Baby

How to make custom keybinds?

Post by onewolf »

Hello!

Please pardon my ignorance because I am very new to MW2:M.

I would like to redesign my keybinds, but the ingame cockpit control assignment is incomprehensible to me. The buttons available on the right hand side of the screen don't include any of my keyboard letter keys (even after unassigning all keys) , and that is what I would like to change. I also took a look at the keyboard.map and input.map files, but reassignment through there seems like it would take some considerable time. Is there an app that helps out with this? Any tips on how to do it manually if that's the only way? Am I missing something in the ingame screen that would allow me to have access to all the keyboard keys?

Thanks for reading!

-Wolf
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Re: How to make custom keybinds?

Post by Skyfaller »

DOS Mercs: right-click the shell screen, select Cockpit Controls
Windows Mercs: Main menu | Options | Cockpit Controls

More convenient means to edit the controls have not been created to my knowledge. If you want to edit input.map manually, I recommend to start with some small changes, test them, then make more changes, one step at a time. It is tedious, but it works.

Related problem:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=421
onewolf
I.S. Baby

Post by onewolf »

Thanks for the reply.

I understand how to access the cockpit controls, but I notice that the letter keys do not appear on the list of available keys on the right hand side of the screen. Am I missing something?

-Wolf
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

No, the list of keys in the editor is incomplete. Use Notepad or better, Notepad++ to edit input.map or inputwin.map. If you are successful, please post the file here. Others may need it. Good luck.
onewolf
I.S. Baby

Post by onewolf »

I've been slowly grinding my way through reconfiguration. It's a pain. Just so I'm not wasting time, which .map files do I need to edit? I notice their are multiple .maps that have the same assignments listed. I've gotten some remaps to work, one in particular keeps failing and I don't know why. I'm thinking about remapping all commands to keys on the right side of my keyboard, and then assigning them to the left side where I intend to use them (WASD setup).
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

input.map
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
onewolf
I.S. Baby

Post by onewolf »

Thanks. Will continue grinding my way through the config. The power of nostalgia is mighty!