Blue Screen on Exit

Issues with mercs? Post it up here!
Forum rules
Please provide the following when making a support request.
1. OS & Service Pack.
2. Version of Mercenaries that is being used.
3. If you are using 95 Mercs, please provide what method you are using to run it? (ie. Kontza's or Slugs Hook)
4a. If you are using DOS have you read the install guide?
4b. If you are using 95 have you watched the 95 install video?
5. What were the steps that you did after the initial installation? (if applicable)
Chocolater
I.S. Baby

Blue Screen on Exit

Post by Chocolater »

First off I want to give a HUGE thanks to the wonderful community here on mech2.org I dug up my old copy of mercs and recently bought a copy of mercs titanium to try out. Anyway I have installed both via MechVM(awesome by the way) and they run and perform fine so far. My question is when I select flee to dos(even if I alt-tab out it still does it) when playing my original win95/dos mercs that came with the old thrustmaster joystick, It crashes my pc and gives me a blue screen o' death. ITs not a huge deal I just dont like having to completely shut down the computer and reboot after every play session. Thanks in advance and sorry if this has been asked I have been trolling and havent found the answer yet.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: Blue Screen on Exit

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

I am afraid you are the first to report such an incident. I would not have a clue myself... maybe someone else though might know :(
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

A blue screen of death should be taken seriously. It means that your PC is unable to shut down cleanly. This may corrupt the file system and you may lose data, though NTFS has some recovery functions. I'm not sure if we are able to help, but the following questions would help us diagnose the problem:

1. What version of Windows are you using?
2. What version of MechVM are you using?
3. Have you tried running mercs.exe or mercswin.exe?
4. What message did the blue screen print?
5. Did you install any patches?

If nothing else works, just stick with Mercs Titanium.
Chocolater
I.S. Baby

Post by Chocolater »

Skyfaller wrote:A blue screen of death should be taken seriously. It means that your PC is unable to shut down cleanly. This may corrupt the file system and you may lose data, though NTFS has some recovery functions. I'm not sure if we are able to help, but the following questions would help us diagnose the problem:

1. What version of Windows are you using?
2. What version of MechVM are you using?
3. Have you tried running mercs.exe or mercswin.exe?
4. What message did the blue screen print?
5. Did you install any patches?

If nothing else works, just stick with Mercs Titanium.
1. Its windows XP service pack 3( as far as I know I am using my folks computer before return to school and get my pc up and running(Mine is vista 64 so the old thrustmaster version wont work as far as I know))
2. Its the one linked to off you sig I think the most recent version(very handy tool ;) )
3.Yes mercs.exe is sloppy without the upgrades from mechvm and it crashes it as well. And mercswin.exe just flashes black then returns to screen.
4. Something about display drivers this computer has intregrated graphics so I am going to research updates for it. I will get the excact error message next time.
5. Only the patches that are applied via mechvm