Dosbox recording issue. *Resolved!*

Issues with mercs? Post it up here!
Forum rules
Please provide the following when making a support request.
1. OS & Service Pack.
2. Version of Mercenaries that is being used.
3. If you are using 95 Mercs, please provide what method you are using to run it? (ie. Kontza's or Slugs Hook)
4a. If you are using DOS have you read the install guide?
4b. If you are using 95 have you watched the 95 install video?
5. What were the steps that you did after the initial installation? (if applicable)
NotSid
House Steiner Private
House Steiner Private

Dosbox recording issue. *Resolved!*

Post by NotSid »

I just setup Mercs on DosBox on my new computer (all by myself! Woo! Go me!) and all's fine, I have no problems running the game, firing weapons etc., in fact, the game runs beautifully on the highest resolution setting. It almost brought me to tears, to be honest!

But, all is not well in the world of Mercenaries. As you know, I love making videos of Mercs. I test out how well the game performs while recording, and it performs very well (while under wireframe) in 1024 resolution (wow!). But this is where a weird thing happens. I open the "capture" folder in the dosbox directory, and a message pops up saying "COM Surrogate has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution to the problem". Needless to say, it never finds one (hence why I'm posting this now!)

Edit: Oh, and I tried actually running the video, and it can run, though sometimes windows media player has to close due to an error.

I am fairly certain it is a codec issue. Perhaps I need to reinstall zmvb? Maybe, but I thought that before I do anything I should get a second opinion, to see if anyone knows how to remedy this. I am running a newly installed Windows Vista machine (just installed it yesterday! Woooot!) so I am assuming it has the most recent service pack. I may have answered my own question here, but better safe than sorry! Thanks for any and all help I get with this!

PS. I know this isn't really a Mercs issue, but there's no DosBox section in the technical help forum. Perhaps that should be added? It would be a help to those struggling with DosBox related issues, and would lead them in the proper direction to ask for assistance. Just a suggestion :)
Last edited by NotSid on Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Re: Dosbox recording issue

Post by Col.Kell »

NotSid wrote:it performs very well (while under wireframe) in 1024 resolution
Mercs has wireframe? mine doesn't :(

Regarding your question though, I'm not sure.
MechWarrior 2: 31stCC
NotSid
House Steiner Private
House Steiner Private

Post by NotSid »

To get wireframe on mercs, simply add a line in the GAMEKEY.MAP file using notepad.

NEXT_NAVPOINT n
PREV_NAVPOINT SHIFT+n

ENHANCED_VISION w

RADAR_ZOOM_IN x
RADAR_ZOOM_OUT SHIFT+x

That is what mine looks like. Just put the ENHANCED_VISION line in there and you should be good to go. Lasers are invisible while in wireframe, though.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

(/me fists clutches and veins in skull pop out from frustration) I have been without wireframe for a decade now??? And thats all it was???

MechWarrior 2: 31stCC
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

Please note that does not work quite the same on 1.1 there is another method.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
NotSid
House Steiner Private
House Steiner Private

Issue resolved! Video posted!

Post by NotSid »

I resolved this issue! :D
Turns out all I had to do was run the zmvb codec installer in administrator mode, now it works just fine! I even recorded and uploaded a new video if anyone wanted to check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbMx1_skrH0

I wasn't able to combine the mw2shell and mw2 videos in Virtualdub, since it said the two video files didn't share a common... whatever it was, I forget exactly, so I was forced to just use Windows Movie Maker. If anyone knows how I can do this using Virtualdub, some help on that would greatly be appreciated!

In the meantime, check out the video and tell me what ya think! By the way, the resolution is 1024, even while recording ;)
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: Dosbox recording issue. *Resolved!*

simple change the framerate or resize it before combining it.
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
NotSid
House Steiner Private
House Steiner Private

Post by NotSid »

How would I change the framerate or resize it?

Edit: Or find out which one I need to do?
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

To see the frame rate click Video -> Framerate
Then compare the two videos to make sure they are the same.

If that is the same then it means the resolution is different.. you can check it in the properties of the file or just go to filters -> add -> resize then make the necessary changes after comparing the two files.
NotSid
House Steiner Private
House Steiner Private

Post by NotSid »

Hmm I tried doing both of those things, but it doesn't seem to wanna work. Same error.