Mercs mount

Issues with mercs? Post it up here!
Forum rules
Please provide the following when making a support request.
1. OS & Service Pack.
2. Version of Mercenaries that is being used.
3. If you are using 95 Mercs, please provide what method you are using to run it? (ie. Kontza's or Slugs Hook)
4a. If you are using DOS have you read the install guide?
4b. If you are using 95 have you watched the 95 install video?
5. What were the steps that you did after the initial installation? (if applicable)
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Mercs mount

Post by Col.Kell »

I relize that even I should know how to work this old dos stuff by now... but I am having trouble yet again.
I am trying to imgmount my Mercs CD for Mercnet 1.06, reason being is because of quota4stupid's extrodinary unwasm tool has given me great insite on reverse-engineering scenario mission files. And I was hoping to give some SCN1.WLD files of my own a try. :)

Anyway, my directory of where Mercs DOS is installed, is "MERCSDOS", my disk (and only disk) drive letter is "D:", my harddrive is "C:", and the Mercs image and cue files (IMAGE.IMG and IMAGE.CUE) are both in the folder "MERCSDOS". I am typing in this command in DOSBox:

Code: Select all

imgmount D C:\MERCSDOS\IMAGE.CUE -t iso
mount C C:
C:
MERCNET
Any thoughts what I might me doing wrong? :?
MechWarrior 2: 31stCC
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: Mercs mount

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

from what i can see you did it right.
except you did not quote the path, but i doubt that it is/

When you made the cue/img did you make the mercs disc with protected game cd?
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Do you need to add a "cd" command?

If that batch runs, you're probably calling MercNet from the wrong directory, unless you have specified that directory in your path environment variable. I usually collect my .BAT files in a directory called BAT and point the path variable there.

One more thing: I'd advise against giving DosBox access to your entire C: drive for security reasons. That way, it gets a lot more difficult for malware in DosBox to escape the virtual machine environment, even if there probably is no malware running in your DosBox.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

Sir MMPD Radick wrote:did you make the mercs disc with protected game cd?
Yes. I made it a copy-protected game cd image. though other times I didn't... :?:
Skyfaller wrote:Do you need to add a "cd" command?
No. I managed to get it working before without using the "cd" command. I just used the "imgmount" command.

I am just getting this error in mercnet when I try to host a game saying I need to "insert the Mercs CD".

Renaming an img file doesn't ruin anything does it? :?
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

you mean renaming img to cue? ... i doubt it would work.
cue has the listing of music tracks which the game scans.
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

Sir MMPD Radick wrote:you mean renaming img to cue?
No, I renamed "IMAGE.IMG" and "IMAGE.CUE" to "MERCS.IMG" and "MERCS.CUE". But then DOSBox crashed when I tried to mount the renamed CUE file, so I just renamed them both "IMAGE" again and it didn't crash when I mounted.

I AM supposed to be mounting the CUE file and not the IMG, right?
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

yes, and if you rename them i think they do break.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

Well then that would explain it, because other than renaming the img and cue file, I have been doing everything as I normaly did. I'll try again later and see if it works.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

Yay! ITS WORKING! :D
Turns out it was the fact that I renamed the img and cue files. Something else I found out; when I looked at "add/remove programs" on the control pannel, I saw that the list didn't include and count the amount of memory that the img took up when it was "broken", but when it wasn't broken, it DID list on the add/remove programs...

Anyway, this helps! Thanks!
I have to go to Nashville in the morning (5:30amCST), but when I get back, I'll start trying out some WLD/MEC files! :)