Palettes error message

Issues with mercs? Post it up here!
Forum rules
Please provide the following when making a support request.
1. OS & Service Pack.
2. Version of Mercenaries that is being used.
3. If you are using 95 Mercs, please provide what method you are using to run it? (ie. Kontza's or Slugs Hook)
4a. If you are using DOS have you read the install guide?
4b. If you are using 95 have you watched the 95 install video?
5. What were the steps that you did after the initial installation? (if applicable)
Darkelf_Mairead
I.S. Baby

Palettes error message

Post by Darkelf_Mairead »

So I decided to fire up MechWarrior2 Mercenaries on our old computer. When I try to start a mission (either with a new career or a load game) it crashes. It says something like "no palette surface is attached to this object". It's always run fine before. I even reinstalled it. Has anyone heard of this error?

1. OS & Service Pack.
Windows 98

2. Version of Mercenaries that is being used.
95 I think

3. If you are using 95 Mercs, please provide what method you are using to run it? (ie. Kontza's or Slugs Hook)
just put the disk in and clicked where it said "play"
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: Palettes error message

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

Sadly it is the first I have ever heard of that bug.
About all I can suggest is to try the DOS install on the same disc.

Is that the exact error message?
On first glance it sounds like a corrupt file...

Hey npsbre you have any ideas?
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
npsbre
House Steiner Sergeant Major
House Steiner Sergeant Major

Post by npsbre »

Beats me. What version is it? Unpatched? 1.05? 1.1?

I like the DOS version suggestion myself.

If it has "always run fun before", what have you changed since you last successfully ran it?
Darkelf_Mairead
I.S. Baby

Well -I- haven't changed anything, but it's dad's computer so he might have done something. I don't know what version it is but I doubt it's patched. Seems like I downloaded a patch once a loooong time ago and I couldn't run it or something, I don't remember. I'll try installing it on another old computer and see how it works.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

it sounds like you should uninstall then reinstall to me.
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Darkelf_Mairead
I.S. Baby

I did that once and it still did that :( It did it on more than one mission too
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Did you try DOS yet?
Darkelf_Mairead
I.S. Baby

I know nothing about playing it in DOS. I'll research that when I get the time.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Install guide can be seen step by step for DOSBOX in the videos section or the FAQ section for DOS directly.
Darkelf_Mairead
I.S. Baby

Well I was gonna do the dos thing if it didn't work on the other computer. I couldn't even install it because one of Betty's wave files was missing from the disk. Seeing how it's old and scratched, I guess I'll just buy a new one from ebay. I couldn't make a copy of my disc either, wouldn't let me. I'm sure other files are missing too. One wav file I could fix, copy another wav and name it BET16.wav but I couldn't do that on the CD itself. Thanks for all you're help, I'll let you know if it works when I get my new copy! It's the Titanium version, dunno for sure what 3d acceleration is honestly. Hope my computer supports it. If not I'm only out $5