More Mech 2 Mercs help

Issues with mercs? Post it up here!
Forum rules
Please provide the following when making a support request.
1. OS & Service Pack.
2. Version of Mercenaries that is being used.
3. If you are using 95 Mercs, please provide what method you are using to run it? (ie. Kontza's or Slugs Hook)
4a. If you are using DOS have you read the install guide?
4b. If you are using 95 have you watched the 95 install video?
5. What were the steps that you did after the initial installation? (if applicable)
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: More Mech 2 Mercs help

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

Well the main issues are the following:

1. The sound track in titanium is shortened.
2. The weapons damage is based upon mercenaries which is overpowered. (Obviously for mercenaries this is a non-issue, but not for the other two.)
3. The levels look completely different (Non-issue really).
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
InfraredCentipede
House Steiner Private
House Steiner Private

Post by InfraredCentipede »

So I just recieved the DOS version of Mechwarrior 2: Mercs, and I went through the MechVM solution, because that seemed to work the best for Titanium.

When I followed the instructions in the readme, I came across a line that told me to find the file autoexec.vdms in the VDMS sound folder, but when I looked, the file didn't exist.

Am I looking in the wrong place, or is there a reason the file seems to be missing?
InfraredCentipede | Clan Steel Viper
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

With mechvm all you need to do is open the program and click install/import and it should install.
No need to worry about anything else to my knowledge...
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

The install instructions are valid for DOS Mercs. If you're on Vista, use this method. Does it work? I hope you didn't install both in the same directory. I have been wondering if I should even allow users to edit where the installs go ...

About the VDMS config, I can look it up when I get back home.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

VDMS is just sound. I would not worry too much about it.. sound works with or without it.
I have been wondering if I should even allow users to edit where the installs go ...
Well, I think you are partially right in limiting it, but I think more than anything a check on version needs to be done to determine which folder it should go in.
i.e. mechvm/games/mercs/... if it exists warn them it does and overwrite if they choose that option.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

MW2:Mercs Titanium has mech salvage, which very much adds to the depth of the game. I doubt this was ever implemented in the DOS versions.

"I ownz ur Atlas!"
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

1.1 has dynamic salvage.
InfraredCentipede
House Steiner Private
House Steiner Private

Yeah, when I try to run it after installing it using MechVM, it doesn't do anything : \

Also, Non-Titanium doesn't have salvage??? :O

That's how I make all my money! I just shoot out a few Catapult cockpits and then sell them.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Did you mention which operating system you use? Which version of Mercs fails? Which .exe do you click?

For Mercs DOS, you can patch to 1.06, which has only scripted salvage IIRC, for Mercs Win, there is a patch to version 1.1 with dynamic salvage. Titanium Mercs also has dynamic salvage.
InfraredCentipede
House Steiner Private
House Steiner Private

Running all this on XP, and I'm currently working on making the DOS version work. If I try to run it from "_mw2mercs", it will play, but it also just plays this loud sound that sort of reminds me of a machine gun >.>

If I run it from "mercs.exe", it will play, but with no sound. It plays music when I'm in a mission, but then if I die, it exits the whole game.

(Combined posts by admin)

My next question would then be, where do I extract that patch? To the MechVM games folder, or the Mercs folder where the game installed?