More Mech 2 Mercs help

Issues with mercs? Post it up here!
Forum rules
Please provide the following when making a support request.
1. OS & Service Pack.
2. Version of Mercenaries that is being used.
3. If you are using 95 Mercs, please provide what method you are using to run it? (ie. Kontza's or Slugs Hook)
4a. If you are using DOS have you read the install guide?
4b. If you are using 95 have you watched the 95 install video?
5. What were the steps that you did after the initial installation? (if applicable)
InfraredCentipede
House Steiner Private
House Steiner Private

More Mech 2 Mercs help

Post by InfraredCentipede »

So first, I figure I should say I'm new here. Saw Not5id's and SirMMPD's videos on youtube while I was going on a nostalgia trip, and decided I was going to make Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries work on my computer no matter what it took. I've had problems before, but ended up deciding it was impossible to run. Now I'm having urges to play this game. After all, it's actually my favorite game of all time.

So while there's plenty of help out in the forum already, I seem to either be getting different information from multiple sources, or I'm just generally confused.

My first question is this: Which one works and which one doesn't- Titanium Edition, or the original? I have the Titanium edition somewhere, but I ordered the original for about 3 bucks on ebay, because I read somewhere that it's easier to fix.

Then, my next question would be, what is the fastest, easiest route to making it work? I know how to work a computer, and I can figure most basic problems out, but when I read some of the solution out there, I get completely lost. Could someone maybe summarize it for me? The patch I downloaded did nothing :\

I also have another question about installing it, which may just be an issue with my computer, but I'd still like to get it fixed if possible. But I'll save that for later so I don't write a dang book in one post.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Re: More Mech 2 Mercs help

Post by Skyfaller »

You should be able to get both the DOS version and Titanium running. For Titanium, it's easiest to install using MechVM. After that, it should run right out of the box. It also works for installing the DOS versions under XP, but please read the file readme-xp.txt that is copied into the installation folder. Additional hints are given here.

Use this method for installing the DOS versions under Vista.

There are additional patches that may help to improve the experience once you got everything running, so just ask if you need anything else.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

Pretty much I would echo what skyfaller said except to say that DOS has the highest chance of running properly.
Just make sure the machine that you are running on (if it is vista or win 7) has high specs as DOSBOX must have at the extreme minimum 2.2 ghz p4 to run it.
You can also run it directly if you have XP. Just install Mech2 DOS and then patch it with this patch.
However, that also means if you have SP3 you cannot run 1024 resolution because there is no fix compatible with it. DOSBOX all in all runs the best in SP3.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
InfraredCentipede
House Steiner Private
House Steiner Private

I'm not sure if I messed something up, but mechVM didn't really do anything. It said it imported a bunch of mechs, but I still couldn't mplay the game.

I'm probably just failing hardcore.
InfraredCentipede | Clan Steel Viper
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Your launching it from where mechvm installed it right?
Also what version?
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
InfraredCentipede
House Steiner Private
House Steiner Private

Installed it? All it says is that a bunch of mechs were imported. Is that right?

I'm using the Titanium edition if that's what you mean.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Yes, but on that page it installs the game into a directory. (It does not tell you it was installed, but it is there if you have the imported mechs)
usually by default a games folder sub dir in mechvm unless it was changed.
InfraredCentipede
House Steiner Private
House Steiner Private

Alright let me go check again. It's on my other computer.

(Posts combined by admin)
OH

MY

GOD

IT'S WORKING

You are a God amongst men, sir.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

:)
Well, thank skyfaller instead he did all the hard work on the titanium edition.
He worked for a good few weeks off and on I think to get it to work for someone in the mektek forums.

Enjoy! Though I would still urge ya to buy the DOS version as titanium is not the real mech2 experience imo... but that is another story...
InfraredCentipede
House Steiner Private
House Steiner Private

Not the real experience?

Explain, as I've never owned the DOS version.