Mercs works until launch.

Issues with mercs? Post it up here!
Forum rules
Please provide the following when making a support request.
1. OS & Service Pack.
2. Version of Mercenaries that is being used.
3. If you are using 95 Mercs, please provide what method you are using to run it? (ie. Kontza's or Slugs Hook)
4a. If you are using DOS have you read the install guide?
4b. If you are using 95 have you watched the 95 install video?
5. What were the steps that you did after the initial installation? (if applicable)
AlindBack
I.S. Baby

Mercs works until launch.

Post by AlindBack »

Alright, I have MechWarrior 2 Mercenaries for Win95/DOS and I have it working for DOS just fine... untill I try to launch a mission, any help? :)
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: How do I Install Mercs on XP?

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

did you add noflb.com in the directory and run it with mech2 in a .bat?
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
AlindBack
I.S. Baby

Re: Mercs works until launch.

Post by AlindBack »

erm... no... what do those do and how do I put them in?

EDIT: All I did was install it with the DOS install. The sound didn't work to start but my father was able to mess around with Command Prompt to get the sound to work, now whenever I try to launch any of the missions the screen goes black, or the second time I try it without restarting Mercs the game crashes with an error message.
npsbre
House Steiner Sergeant Major
House Steiner Sergeant Major

Post by npsbre »

What OS are you running? If WinXP or 2k, then these links may be useful to you:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4
AlindBack
I.S. Baby

Post by AlindBack »

Alright, I have a 2.4 GHz Pentium 4 with a GB RAM. Windows XP Pro

This is what I did, I opened the CD by right clicking it in My Computer and clicking Open. After that I went to the DOS folder and double clicked INSTALL. I then went through the setup and it seemed to install just fine. I started it and I clicked Mercenary in the main menu, I signed in at the ComStar terminal and then launched the dropship. I then clicked the only available option to go into the mech lab and launch and all that good stuff menu. I clicked the one to start the mission and then clicked launch, after that, my screen went black with a message like... Out of scan range. I tried launching an instant action and it did the same thing. Should I reinstall Mercs with some other method or is there a quick fix from where I am?
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Anywho, as I said you do need NOLFB.COM.
Put it in the dir and alter the bat file included in that rar file to point to mercs and your game should run fine.
However, you will not be able to run 1024 resolution if you are on SP3 except through DOSBOX. If you are on SP2 or SP1 you can run a screen fix.

Also DOSBOX instructions are here.
The instructions may be for mech2 but they apply to mercs as well. (Except the patches obviously)
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
AlindBack
I.S. Baby

Post by AlindBack »

Alright... lets pretend I have no idea what you are talking about when you said "Put it in the dir and alter the bat file included in that rar file to point to mercs and your game should run fine.
"
I'm on SP2, do I still need DOSBOX?
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

nope, if you are on SP2 you have no real reason to use DOSBOX except for stability & multiplayer.
Alright... lets pretend I have no idea what you are talking about when you said "Put it in the dir and alter the bat file included in that rar file to point to mercs and your game should run fine.
I just mean that you should download the link from my previous post, and extract it to where you installed mercenaries.
After you extract it then you must edit the mech2DOS.bat file that was extracted. Just make it so that mech2.exe is now mercs.exe and you are done.
The rar file has everything that you need to run it except for the screen fix.
Just make sure that when you run the fix that you type 'yes' (without the quotes) exactly as it will not simply take 'y' or 'Y'.
AlindBack
I.S. Baby

Post by AlindBack »

alright, and when I do all that, do I double click the game or the .bat?
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

The bat file. :)