Windows Vista

Issues with mercs? Post it up here!
Forum rules
Please provide the following when making a support request.
1. OS & Service Pack.
2. Version of Mercenaries that is being used.
3. If you are using 95 Mercs, please provide what method you are using to run it? (ie. Kontza's or Slugs Hook)
4a. If you are using DOS have you read the install guide?
4b. If you are using 95 have you watched the 95 install video?
5. What were the steps that you did after the initial installation? (if applicable)
Norrl
I.S. Baby

Windows Vista

Post by Norrl »

Hi. I've recently gotten MW2 and MW2 Mercs again. Anyone have any ideas on how to make them work in Windows Vista? Thanks in advance, take care.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: Windows Vista

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

Just follow one of the tutorials here for the DOS version using DOSBOX and you will be up and running pretty easily.
If it is the 95 version there are ways to get that to work with the hook. DOS is better though. 95 versions are unstable.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Which version of MW2 do you have? If it's the DOS version, you will need DOSBox under Vista. MMPD might disagree, but I prefer installing the Windows version of MW2 under Vista become DosBox gives me bad framerates. Your Mercs disk may have both versions.

When I upload the next version of MechVM, you will have be able to choose which version of the game will be installed, so drop me a line if you want to install the Windows version. For installing the DOS version, simply setup DosBox and install using DosBox.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

OK, MMPD has won the race ;)
Norrl
I.S. Baby

Post by Norrl »

I have the ATI Rage edition of MW2 and the MSDOS/Windows 95 version of MW2 Mercs.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

I believe in that case you are out of luck for MW2. Unless you have the origional hardware in the system (3d rage) there is no way to play. There are no wrappers currently for the 3d rage video card lineup.

Mercs though, yah you could go either the 95 way or DOS way. Your call.
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

Windows version has FAR better sound quality than DOS, but, then again, I've ran into less problems under DOS mode.
MechWarrior 2: 31stCC
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

I would agree there. As I said though stability is the major issue.
Norrl
I.S. Baby

Post by Norrl »

Will MW2 and MW2 Mercs run in a Windows98 os?
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

The ATI Rage one will work on 98 for mech2 only if you have the origional hardware. If you do yes.
Mercs works on anything. Mech2 normally does as well, but you have a 'special' version which does not work.
You can play all of them directly on 98, but multiplayer will not work for you if you wished to join us for multiplayer; since Windows 98 is not capable of running dosbox properly.

My suggestion for mech2 is to go buy a normal version.. check the FAQ section for a list of good versions and ones which to avoid.