Special needs?

Issues with mercs? Post it up here!
Forum rules
Please provide the following when making a support request.
1. OS & Service Pack.
2. Version of Mercenaries that is being used.
3. If you are using 95 Mercs, please provide what method you are using to run it? (ie. Kontza's or Slugs Hook)
4a. If you are using DOS have you read the install guide?
4b. If you are using 95 have you watched the 95 install video?
5. What were the steps that you did after the initial installation? (if applicable)
Optimus
I.S. Baby

Special needs?

Post by Optimus »

I've read everything and I still can't get my Mech 2:Mercs to play either through windows or DOS...can't even get DOSBOX to find the stinkin image file to get started. Can I get some help? Here's the deal.
If I install into Windows then try to run the game, I get nothing...zippo. I double click and the program doesn't run. If I try to start from the disc, it simply closes...or at least appears to.
If I install into DOS (and I made sure this computer does have 16 bit), I can watch the opening sequence, but it's always in low resolution no matter what patch or fix I try to apply. Then I'm blind. I'm looking at an all black...blank screen. If I get lucky and I poke around with my mouse and cause a few things to happen. Once I got an instant action mission to start... and it worked..again in low res, but after I was blind again.
So, gave dosbox a try. Did everything and my problem there is, even if I make it so the image file is sitting right at C: it says there is no image file, doesn't seem to regonize the .cue file... nothin. I've moved and imaged the disc again and again, modified the config file many times, and I still can't get over that one hurdle so I can get to the installation.
I have Windows XP, 2002 version. Computer is an HP. Disc is Mechwarrior 2: Mercnaries MS-DOS/ Win '95 which came with the old Hewlett Packard Win '95 computer that would barely run the game years ago. I never could play past the 9th or 10th mission.
Any help would be nice, but I kinda realize I may just be dead in the water here.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: Special needs?

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

If you come on IRC tommarow afternoon say 5 PM PST or so I would be glad to help you over remote desktop.
I could try explaining it here further, but it sounds like ya have hit ya head against a wall long enough. :)
I cannot guarantee it will work because you may have a 'special' setup which is incompatible for all i know, but I would be glad to give it a try.

By the way, please post your CPU, RAM, Graphics Card, and Service Pack.

Update: Clarification tommarow is the 28th, so as of this update today.
Last edited by Sir MMPD Radick on Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Clarification
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Optimus
I.S. Baby

Post by Optimus »

Kool, thanks. No garuntees I'll be on at that time, but I'll shoot for it. Sounds like fun.
I know I'm not crazy, I'm pretty sure this particular computer just doesn't know what to do....yet, and I don't know quite enough to know what the problem could be or how to fix it.
Let's see here... CPU-it says 2.00Ghz,1.99Ghz Ram-248MB Service pak 3 and graphics card...hhmm not sure if this is right here, but under display properties it shows hp Pavilion f50 on Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV graphics controller

Transform and roll out!
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

hmm, your specs are kinda right on the edge.. as far as dosbox and full resolution anyway.
I am assuming though that you have a pentium 4 or athlon and not a newer model where ghz do not matter.
Your ram is also low which may be a significant problem.
Also having a integrated graphics solution is problematic... usually that is not a good thing.
Lastly because you have Service pack 3 you cannot use the full resolution without dosbox. If you had SP2 it would work though.

Note: My assumptions are based upon the original mechwarrior 2 not mercs. Mercs minimum in dosbox is significantly higher. However I do not know how much higher. Could be as high as 2.8 ghz P4 for full specs or higher.

Well, we will see what happens later today. I think I can get it working, but it may not be at full resolution because of the DOSBOX requirements are relatively high to play smoothly. Pretty much were just goona have to play with the settings until they are just right.
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Optimus
I.S. Baby

Post by Optimus »

You know, it just sounds like although this is a better computer than the last one, it is still a generation or two behind the times. The processor, for all the better I know, is an Intel Celeron. I never did know what that equates to. I'm willing to waste some time. I'm not dyin to get it to work, so feel free to back out though if you've got somehing better to do. I'll be back later.
Optimus
I.S. Baby

Post by Optimus »

I GOT IT! I'm a MERC! What we both did wrong is when we image the disc, we needed to do protected game CD, not just game CD. Now I just need to get a few custom mechs of my own, and I'll be able to hang in the NETMECH a little better. Speakin of... how would I set up an IPX connection so I might possibly use the NETMECH I have? I know, it might be easier to just use the other version, but I'm up for a little more learning.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Congratulations! I am glad to hear that. I am suprised it required protected though; I have made clone cd copies of it in the past without it because there is no copy protection on the disc.

As for what you have on the mercs disc, mercnet and netmech is incompatible, and no one plays mercnet because netmech is free.
Also the mechs from mercs are incompatible as well, so you will not be able to make your own mechs.
If you have MechWarrior 2, pretty much you will have to set that up the same way as was done with mercs in dosbox.

To connect to the server using dosbox in the autoexec section put
IPXNET CONNECT mech2.org 10000
Somewhere in there, does not matter where as long as it is in the autoexec section.
Also change the ipx line to true if it it is not already, and that is it.