How do INSTALL through DOSBOX?

Issues with mercs? Post it up here!
Forum rules
Please provide the following when making a support request.
1. OS & Service Pack.
2. Version of Mercenaries that is being used.
3. If you are using 95 Mercs, please provide what method you are using to run it? (ie. Kontza's or Slugs Hook)
4a. If you are using DOS have you read the install guide?
4b. If you are using 95 have you watched the 95 install video?
5. What were the steps that you did after the initial installation? (if applicable)
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Re: How do INSTALL through DOSBOX?

Post by Col.Kell »

Okay, Mercenaries is up and running! Thank you Radick and npsbre! The problem was I forgot that I also had to have the .IMG file, not just the .CUE. :oops:

Only problem here is that the game framerate is running a little slow, the screen is all choppy. I have looked at what the DOSBox help file had to say to fix this, I managed to improve this only a little, but not enough to be deemed "fixed". Do either of you have any suggestions on how to make the game framerate run smooth?
MechWarrior 2: 31stCC
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

new computer... lol
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

Please don't discourage me Radick, I am annoyed by this enough as it is.
I am convinced that this is a DOSBox problem, because it never ran this way on the Windows hook or when I got it running on regular DOS after fumbling around on the distorted screen.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

col Kell not trying to, but you are comparing apples and oranges the hook is completely different.
Mercs in DOSBOX is about 10x as laggy as without dosbox. DOSBOX = complete emulation. You are better off playing it with the hook in 95 or running mercs dos directly in XP without dosbox.
Mercs has much higher specs than that of mech2. I can bearly run it myself in dosbox.
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

hehe, I don't feel so bad now that I know it doesn't run well for people who have the cool new computers.

The whole purpose of me wanting to run Mercs under DOS was because I found it easier to test my mods "on-the-fly". But, I guess I don't need to be acting up like this, I should be glad it's working under the Hook program.

...And, I guess I should be glad that this is my 100th post! Yippee! :D
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

actually i have an old 2005 comp now...
Either way congrats on ya 100th :)
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

New problem, I think this may be a combination of things but here it goes;

For Mercs under DOSBox, I have been using the same old .IMG file for the past 3 months or so.
One day out of the blue, I look to launch a mercnet mission alone so I could test some map mods.

Of course, everything appears to be running just fine, both the Mercs shell and Mercnet; the sound is playing, animations are running... Only problem is when I try to launch a mission, the game gives me an error message saying the CD is not inserted. :?

I am typing the same thing I normaly do:

IMGMOUNT D C:\MERCS\IMAGE.IMG -t iso (where D is my only disk drive)
then
MOUNT C C:\MERCS (where mercs is installed and the location of the game engine.)
then type
C:\
and lastly
MERCS (or mercnet).

I have removed the mercs gamejackal profile, just to make sure it doesn't interfere with anything. I don't know what the problem is. Any leads, tech crew? :)
npsbre
House Steiner Sergeant Major
House Steiner Sergeant Major

Post by npsbre »

You should be mounting the cue file for DOSBox, not the img. The cue points to the img, so be sure not to rename the img after it's already been created.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

Wow am I feeling blonde :oops: thanks for that tho.
blackyoshi1230
House Steiner Private
House Steiner Private

Post by blackyoshi1230 »

Sir MMPD Radick wrote: Mercs in DOSBOX is about 10x as laggy as without dosbox. DOSBOX = complete emulation. You are better off playing it with the hook in 95 or running mercs dos directly in XP without dosbox.
Mercs has much higher specs than that of mech2. I can barely run it myself in dosbox.

So that means I can play it straight up in WinXP through command prompt? Sweet.
I installed DOS through E: though, and E and F are my optical disc drives (you said something about requiring the lowest drive or D, but that's a restore hard drive), so that means I should put my disc in F: and hit Mercs.exe (not Mercswin.exe)?

I tried the Win95 version (successful install though), but after trying the hook (yeah, the target was mercswin), it gave me the blink-crash.
Using Mercs cross-platform v1.06 with WinXP SP2.
BlackYoshi: "In war, there are no true winners".
NotSid: "There are those who die, and those who don't". (Quote made Dec 16, 2008 at a 7P Avon session at 8-9PM PST)