MW2: Mercs works until I try to launch a mission

Issues with mercs? Post it up here!
Forum rules
Please provide the following when making a support request.
1. OS & Service Pack.
2. Version of Mercenaries that is being used.
3. If you are using 95 Mercs, please provide what method you are using to run it? (ie. Kontza's or Slugs Hook)
4a. If you are using DOS have you read the install guide?
4b. If you are using 95 have you watched the 95 install video?
5. What were the steps that you did after the initial installation? (if applicable)
TalkPolite
I.S. Baby

MW2: Mercs works until I try to launch a mission

Post by TalkPolite »

Hello all,

So I was able to get MW2 working through MechVM, and tried the same method to get MW2:Mercs running. Through Mech VM the game will start and I can do everything but launch a mission. An error comes up (mercswin.exe has stopped working). How can I fix this? Also, I am trying to run MW2:Mercs on windows 10 and am trying to run the Titanium pack.

Thanks!

Talk
navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Re: MW2: Mercs works until I try to launch a mission

Post by navbuoy »

It's not going to be that easy using Win10 via MechVM.
At the end of the day, running a DOS version of the game using DosBox might be the best way to go. I think the 95 version of the game had both options but I think Titanium is strictly Windows 95/98/ME
Some people run VM software as well to run their older games on the Win10 machines...Virtual PC might help if all you have access to is the Titanium version.
TalkPolite
I.S. Baby

Post by TalkPolite »

I also have access to the battlekit one if that helps
navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by navbuoy »

I was looking up the issue and without tackling the differences in graphics handling that changed between the windows...sometimes just grabbing another DLL makes the difference for some of these games but I haven't seen anyone getting it to work in MechVM yet. Could be wrong.
It boils down to other forms of emulation - either DOS (dosbox) or OS VirtualPC or VMWare or something similar for Win95 environment.
TalkPolite
I.S. Baby

Post by TalkPolite »

Sounds like I need to find myself a DosBox version of MW2: Mercs and a guide for how to use dosbox with it! (never used Dosbox).
navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by navbuoy »

I believe the MechWM comes with a version of DosBox? Just need to set it up and choose the DOS version settings and you should be ok.
navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by navbuoy »

I believe there was some stating they had success running the Titanium version on Win10 with it...Personally I am more aware of VMWare than VirtualPC

It's all a matter of finding what works best with your rig and running with that. :)
Mojoswagger1980
I.S. Baby

Post by Mojoswagger1980 »

Hi,
i just saw your post, i had same issue but got it working without mechvm using dosbox daum running windows 95 . Method requires w95 install on hdd and doesn't include the sweet soundtrack (requires a virtual cd program i couldnt get daemon tools to work, virtual cd drive did but it cannot mount .cue files). Its a lengthy process and id have to link some stuff i dont have on hand so id need to know you at least cared before i typed all that out. Requires a copy of the game, copy of windows 95 (surprisingly easy to get), familiarity with dosbox/dosboxdaum ,UltraIso or some image manipulating software(i used ultra and would be guiding using it as example but there are a ton of image manipulation software they would all most likely work) , ummmm, the ability to read and follow instructions. I obtained everything for free except the titanium trilogy (you could most likely find that for free too, but i already own it).