Accidentally Applied Patch to Disc

Issues with mercs? Post it up here!
Forum rules
Please provide the following when making a support request.
1. OS & Service Pack.
2. Version of Mercenaries that is being used.
3. If you are using 95 Mercs, please provide what method you are using to run it? (ie. Kontza's or Slugs Hook)
4a. If you are using DOS have you read the install guide?
4b. If you are using 95 have you watched the 95 install video?
5. What were the steps that you did after the initial installation? (if applicable)
Havokq3
House Steiner Corporal
House Steiner Corporal

Accidentally Applied Patch to Disc

Post by Havokq3 »

I believe that I have finally figured out why I'm having so many problems with the Windows 95 1.1 version of Mercs on Windows 7. Years ago, when I tried patching my 1.05 game to 1.1, I suspect that I (somehow) managed to apply the patch to the disc. I have evidence that supports this, such as the "mixed up" shell sounds (from trying to load the old ones over the new) and the fact that my disc is a 1.05 Win95/DOS disc, which I made sure sure wasn't a rip-off on the versions list; yet when I install the game, I have dynamic salvage, and it reports that it is version 1.1. And now my question is, can I alleviate this problem and restore my game to how it was? I was thinking of downloading a disk image of the 1.05 and overwriting my disc (again), but I'm not sure if that would work or not.
The year is 2015. For a Mail Officer, LIFE is WAR, and DEATH is the only true peace.
navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Re: Accidentally Applied Patch to Disc

Post by navbuoy »

I thought the patches did not go forward if you had the wrong version? I guess so seeing as it was DOS back then and did not run checks beforehand. 20/20 hindsight - before applying anything - back up the entire image - rename it and store it someplace safe in case things do not go according as planned.

Got to be careful with those Dual versions - if you have applied the DOS patch then load the DOS mode (not the Windows mode) and see how it behaves.
Mojoswagger1980
I.S. Baby

Re: Accidentally Applied Patch to Disc

Post by Mojoswagger1980 »

Im pretty sure you just need to make a new cuesheet or you didnt mount the .cue to begin with. Its not possible to apply a patch to the actual cd. Instructions for making .cue file can be googled if your mounting mercen~1.bin, then try mounting mercen~2.cue (the cuesheet is responsible for ingame soundtrack, you would still have sound effects just no background music if you were mounting the binary)