Can't complete missions

Issues with mercs? Post it up here!
Forum rules
Please provide the following when making a support request.
1. OS & Service Pack.
2. Version of Mercenaries that is being used.
3. If you are using 95 Mercs, please provide what method you are using to run it? (ie. Kontza's or Slugs Hook)
4a. If you are using DOS have you read the install guide?
4b. If you are using 95 have you watched the 95 install video?
5. What were the steps that you did after the initial installation? (if applicable)
porousshield
I.S. Baby

Can't complete missions

Post by porousshield »

I'm using 64 bit win 8:

I ripped my Mercs CD long ago and I'm using it with mech vm and the game seems to run fine up until I finish a mission. The computer will say "Mission Successful" and it will end and then in the aftermath screen it will say I've failed objectives. The tutorial mission for example, where you only have to go to the nav points, will say I failed a mission where I didn't destroy the target but there are no targets. I managed to complete that mission somehow and then the next mission I'm still failing objectives that I completed.

Just mounting it with Dosbox without mechvm I have no sound or it freezes.

I've also tried the Titantium edition with mech vm but the missions fail on launch and I never actually get to play.

Any help is appreciated.
Striker
House Steiner Private First Class

Re: Can't complete missions

Post by Striker »

I am on windows 8.1 myself and have experienced this problem. For me though, it is more of a glitch. The walk around is saving before each mission, and reloading if it occurs. I also run Mercs 1.06.
porousshield
I.S. Baby

Post by porousshield »

That issue sounds like it'll be a pain when I get to the longer more involved missions.
Striker

Post by Striker »

I haven't quite pinpointed where the problem lies. For me, it seems to occur at random. Perhaps it has something to do with the high resolution I normally run, which imposes higher CPU load, or perhaps it is something else.

It is strange, given that neither MW2: 31st Century, nor GBL suffers from this problem. It may just be that Mercs is inherently buggy as it always has been.

Luckily, most missions are relatively short and can completed between 5-10 minutes, thus I had no real issues with save/reloading. Does this occur to you frequently, or just from time-to-time?
navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by navbuoy »

This sounds familiar..I know there was an issue with mercs in the training/tutorial missions and the patch was supposed to address some of those.
Plus I think it also might be a graphics driver issue too. Was somewhere online or in the readme I read about some similar issues. I think I had to drop the ground texture/higher textures to get it to behave.
porousshield
I.S. Baby

Post by porousshield »

Striker wrote:I haven't quite pinpointed where the problem lies. For me, it seems to occur at random. Perhaps it has something to do with the high resolution I normally run, which imposes higher CPU load, or perhaps it is something else.

It is strange, given that neither MW2: 31st Century, nor GBL suffers from this problem. It may just be that Mercs is inherently buggy as it always has been.
I feel as though it's pulling the wrong mission data but I couldn't hazard a guess as to why. I didn't even know the game was buggy compared to the others. I've never had problems with it until trying to get it to work properly on my current hardware.
Striker wrote:Luckily, most missions are relatively short and can completed between 5-10 minutes, thus I had no real issues with save/reloading. Does this occur to you frequently, or just from time-to-time?
I'm probably misremembering mission lengths since I haven't played it in a while.
navbuoy wrote:This sounds familiar..I know there was an issue with mercs in the training/tutorial missions and the patch was supposed to address some of those.
Plus I think it also might be a graphics driver issue too. Was somewhere online or in the readme I read about some similar issues. I think I had to drop the ground texture/higher textures to get it to behave.
I half remember reading something about that new from a few months ago when First attempted to get the game to work.
porousshield
I.S. Baby

Post by porousshield »

I've started the Mercs campaign a a few more times and the problem didn't happen outside of the tutorial. Hopefully it's clear sailing from here.
navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by navbuoy »

Yes, outside of the training missions it was OK. That's how it was for me too...but you need to apply the patch if you have the vanilla DOS version. I found dropping the textures to low fixed the timing issue I was suffering from and the training missions behaved better...with it full blown I noticed that the voice triggers were lagging and not in sync which compounded the problem.
navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by navbuoy »

I noticed playing the training missions that it failed on the first one...was getting a weird write error BUT I sped through the first training mission again and at the last 150 meters out I slowed my mech down and it was successful. Dropping my speed down when returning to the dropship to level 2 speed seemed to work for me?
Who knows - I recall having issues with Vanilla Mechwarrior 2 back in the day when I did last second key strikes as the missions was auto-exiting. Might be related to that?