Mechwarrior 2 Mercs on XP - Mechlab issues.

Issues with mercs? Post it up here!
Forum rules
Please provide the following when making a support request.
1. OS & Service Pack.
2. Version of Mercenaries that is being used.
3. If you are using 95 Mercs, please provide what method you are using to run it? (ie. Kontza's or Slugs Hook)
4a. If you are using DOS have you read the install guide?
4b. If you are using 95 have you watched the 95 install video?
5. What were the steps that you did after the initial installation? (if applicable)
GawainBS
I.S. Baby

Mechwarrior 2 Mercs on XP - Mechlab issues.

Post by GawainBS »

Hello

I got it running on XP, and tried some Instant Action missions to test out the controls. It all works fine, except for one thing.
Whenever I load up the Mechlab in Instant Action for the second time for a chassis, the game crashes to Windows. When I go to the Mek folder and delete the configs, I can re-access the Mechlab for that Mech. For example: I started Instant Action, and customized myself a Battlehawk. No problem, I can play the missions just fine. However, if I then want to play another Instant Action, and I want to change the Battlehawk, the game crashes as soon as I click on "Mechlab".
I got two questions: Will this be the case in Storyline missions as well? And, more important: how can it be fixed? Customizing mechs is the best aspect of the game.

I'd be grateful for any help. Thanks in advance!
npsbre
House Steiner Sergeant Major

Re: Mechwarrior 2 Mercs on XP - Mechlab issues.

Post by npsbre »

1.) What version of Mercs are you running? Dos/Win/Titanium/version #?
2.) Which procedure did you follow for running in WinXP?

For what it's worth, I've played through the entire single player campaign before in WinXP with a Mercs DOS install (and not in DOSBox), so it is possible at least on my system. I don't recall crashing from the mechlab, but I don't particularly recall doing the particular sequence of events you mention, either.
GawainBS
I.S. Baby

Post by GawainBS »

Oh, sorry that I forgot to include that info.
I play a Dos/Win95, version 1.05, I believe. It's from the Essential Game Collection.
It's a regular install via Windows, with the XP patch applied, the so-called Mech-Hook.
I tried a Mercenary campaign, and the two first missions seemed to go just fine.
npsbre

Post by npsbre »

I myself don't have any recent experience with Win Mercs, so maybe someone else knows more. But from what I understand about MW2 Windows version fixes in general, they have varying performance depending on which one is applied. Shell crashes (the mechlab is in the shell) are historically what have been one of the main problems in WinXP with Windows versions of MW2 insofar as crashes/not running go. You could try installing the DOS version, if your CD is like the original retail release, because it has both DOS and Windows versions on it. But if your install runs fine otherwise, you may be able to just work around the issue.

Is it crashing when you access the mechlab twice in the same session, or twice in general (including between times launching the program)? If the latter -- this is a crazy idea which probably isn't the case -- check your mek directory for a file called 0.mek. If it's there, delete it. This was a standard source of crashing on Mercnet way back when, but I don't think this affects single player though. I can't remember the exact details anymore. It either has something to do with your own custom mech files, or your (multiplayer) opponents', but I don't recall exactly.
GawainBS
I.S. Baby

Post by GawainBS »

The crash occurs whenever I try to enter the Mechlab with a Mech that I have already modified in the lab before. When I deleted the relevant .mek file, I could again edit that Mech in the 'Lab.
I got another problem now... I get a memory-can't read error whenever I try to load my save.:(
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

sorry to have to report to you there is no fix for 95 mercs.
Your only option for a fix is either using vmware or running the DOS version of mercs.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
White Cat
I.S. Baby

Post by White Cat »

You could try moving the existing .mek file out of the \mek folder, then creating your new config, then renaming one of the files from (for example) "tbr00usr.mek" to "tbr01usr.mek" (or 02, or 03, etc) and putting them both back in \mek. That should let you keep multiple custom configs for each Mech. If not, you'll need to keep all your custom configs in a separate folder, and before each mission, copy the one you want into \mek with the name "tbr00usr.mek" (replacing "tbr" with the right code for that chassis).

As for the save file read error, I've never heard of that problem. Can you not load any save files, or just one of them? If the former, it might just be a file corruption.
GawainBS
I.S. Baby

Post by GawainBS »

To be honest, it was with just one; my only one, and I was too dishearted to start over. Maybe in a few days. Thanks for the mechlab advice, though.
White Cat
I.S. Baby

Post by White Cat »

I'd recommend alternating between two or three different save slots, to guard against that happening again.