A new way to install MW2 Mercs

Issues with mercs? Post it up here!
Forum rules
Please provide the following when making a support request.
1. OS & Service Pack.
2. Version of Mercenaries that is being used.
3. If you are using 95 Mercs, please provide what method you are using to run it? (ie. Kontza's or Slugs Hook)
4a. If you are using DOS have you read the install guide?
4b. If you are using 95 have you watched the 95 install video?
5. What were the steps that you did after the initial installation? (if applicable)
Vandervecken
I.S. Baby

A new way to install MW2 Mercs

Post by Vandervecken »

Hi folks,
I've hit upon a new (old) way to install Mercs at high resolution. This will give you any resolution you want, in D3D, starting from a Win95 disk.
The key insight is that the technique 'superseded' by MW2Hook is in fact not superseded. See here:
https://sites.google.com/site/mw2mercxp/
Did this on an XP VM this evening.
Process is:
1) Install MW2Mercs W95 edition via its own installer.
2) Patch to 1.1. Repeat attempts to patch (there's some nondeterminism here, and the patch often claims it failed) until you get the option in the patcher to put in Direct3D. Take the option. This sometimes takes me as many as 7-8 times running the patcher executable before the option comes up. Don't know why.
3) Set compatibility of mercswin to w95, run the program, should start. Go to options and confirm you have a Video Options entry.
4) Close the program, unzip the contents of the zip file referenced in that link, and follow his procedure running MercsProxyPatcher and MechPrep.
5) Enjoy.

Missions load quickly too!