Missions don't run and auto fail

Issues with mercs? Post it up here!
Forum rules
Please provide the following when making a support request.
1. OS & Service Pack.
2. Version of Mercenaries that is being used.
3. If you are using 95 Mercs, please provide what method you are using to run it? (ie. Kontza's or Slugs Hook)
4a. If you are using DOS have you read the install guide?
4b. If you are using 95 have you watched the 95 install video?
5. What were the steps that you did after the initial installation? (if applicable)
CateranEnforcer
I.S. Baby

Missions don't run and auto fail

Post by CateranEnforcer »

Okay, here's the setup:

Windows 7 64bit
DOS version of MW2:Mercs. I have long since lost my original CD so I am using DAEMON Tools to mount the CD image.
I run it in MechVM in DOSBOX.

Everything seems to work fine until I try to start a mission. In all 3 modes, whenever I try to start a mission, the screen goes black for a moment and then goes to the aftermath screen as a failure.

Any advice?
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: Missions don't run and auto fail

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

hmm well not sure why that would be offhand but you should not be mounting the disc.
You need to have mechvm do that or i do not think it will work properly in DOSBOX.

So what you do is install the game with mechvm and point it to the .cue file. It should fix your issue I think.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
CateranEnforcer
I.S. Baby

Just an update here:

I definately did not point it to the .cue file for my first attempts. Oops.

I created the .cue file with CloneCD and unmounted the CD from DaemonTools. In MechVM I tried to use "Install from CD Image" but it didn't ask for a file location. Upon running the game I encounter the same problem. Missions autocomplete and fail when run. I'll keep plugging away at it, there are some things on this forum I am still trying.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Ah actually install from disc. I do not think mechvm install from image does not work. I never had success with that method either.
Use the the install from disc then point it to the .cue file. Sorry for the confusion
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Adamant
I.S. Baby

Post by Adamant »

I had the same problem as you but I've been playing Mercnet all week with my brother using the mech2.org server. I don't even use MechVM, instead I mount the .cue in dosbox using the imgmount command.
It works like a charm if you have the .bin and .cue named the same and mount the game directory first before mounting the cd.

example:

mount c c:\MERCSCD
c:
imgmount d c:\MERCENARIES_DOSWIN.cue -t iso
MERCS

in this case i'm going to the mercscd folder in c: where I have the game, then mounting the cd image i have in the c: (not in the mercscd folder) then running the game in the mercscd folder.
CateranEnforcer
I.S. Baby

I'll give that a try, though I haven't been able to find out much about .bin files. CloneCD created a .cue, .ccd, .sub, and the .img files. Where/how do I find it?

UPDATE EDIT: I placed all 4 of those files in the same location and ran the game via DosBox. So far I have the same issue with but slightly different. The game starts to show the green heartbeat loading bar, but stops shortly after giving me a "CD is not mounted" error.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

when your making the disc you have to rip it with clonecd using the protected game disc option. it does apparently make a difference. That could be your issue.. only guess i have offhand
CateranEnforcer
I.S. Baby

No luck with that, I'm afraid.

I've been searching all night to figure how to read/convert that .bin file, so far with no success.
FreelancerMar
I.S. Baby

Post by FreelancerMar »

If you create the CD image using Clone cd, you will not need a Bin file. All you will need to do is have dosbox load/mount the *.cue file and all should be good. I have 2 different Mech installs. 1 through MechVM for more or less bug free play and 1 through Dosbox for tinkering with. I use cloneCD images for both.

I hope this helps out some.
catgamer109
I.S. Baby

Post by catgamer109 »

Well, I have the exact same problem. But in windows 98 on a retro system. First it was auto failing, then it was auto successing, and then it's auto failing again. Wtf is going on? (oops just noticed this was in mercs, I'm running 31cc)