MW2 Mercenaries 95 / DOSBOX / XP SP3

Issues with mercs? Post it up here!
Forum rules
Please provide the following when making a support request.
1. OS & Service Pack.
2. Version of Mercenaries that is being used.
3. If you are using 95 Mercs, please provide what method you are using to run it? (ie. Kontza's or Slugs Hook)
4a. If you are using DOS have you read the install guide?
4b. If you are using 95 have you watched the 95 install video?
5. What were the steps that you did after the initial installation? (if applicable)
anssiko
I.S. Baby

MW2 Mercenaries 95 / DOSBOX / XP SP3

Post by anssiko »

Hi! I have been searching the forum (and beyond) for answers, and found some similar troubles (but no remedy).

I have used two different DOSBOX setups, and verified that they (to some extent) work. However, once I fire MERCS.EXE, i get this error:

Stub exec failed:
dos4gw.exe
No such file or directory

If I copy and paste said file from the .CUE image into the main game file folder, the game intro starts but soon crashes. Could this have something to do with needing a different setup? I can´t start a DOS install, it gives me an error message.

My windows version is XP Service Pack 3, and game Mw2 Mercenaries 95 DOS WIN. I don´t have the cd at hand, so I can´t verify the exact version.

I´d be super thankful for help.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: MW2 Mercenaries 95 / DOSBOX / XP SP3

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

it sounds like you did not install dosbox properly or either that or mercs...

have you tried mechvm yet? dosbox gets auto setup in that saving alot of time...
if that fails.. then let me know i'll talk you through the manual setup.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
anssiko
I.S. Baby

Post by anssiko »

EDITED--

I tried the MechVM once again, and this time the program worked. However,

DOS version didn't work
Windows version crashes at random point before the first mission
DOSBOX runs very stiff

I'll try and adjust dosbox settings, but if you know someway to fix the windows version, that would be awesome. Thanks.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

wait you are on XP... hmm ya know we are making it too hard.
You actually can just play DOS version straight.
You would not want to use DOSBOX or any virtualization on XP.

Ok, for Mercs 95 install it like normal then follow the instructions here.
Alternatively DOS instructions. All you have to do for these instructions is correct a few file names to mercs instead of mech2. The instructions are virtually identical to what i would say to do for mercs that is why I never wrote a guide for mercs.

Either of these instruction sets should actually work for you if you follow them properly.
The only reason we suggest DOSBOX on the site these days is simply because of the problems in vista/win7 with the game. XP does not have these problems, but I will note that the chances of running the vanilla mercs are still 50/50. It does not seem to run on all XP machines. We never found out why. DOS Mercs without dosbox is still your best bet.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.