mercnet problems

Issues with mercs? Post it up here!
Forum rules
Please provide the following when making a support request.
1. OS & Service Pack.
2. Version of Mercenaries that is being used.
3. If you are using 95 Mercs, please provide what method you are using to run it? (ie. Kontza's or Slugs Hook)
4a. If you are using DOS have you read the install guide?
4b. If you are using 95 have you watched the 95 install video?
5. What were the steps that you did after the initial installation? (if applicable)
Striker
House Steiner Private First Class

Re: mercnet problems

Post by Striker »

Yes, under mercenaries patches.

You can also find the patches on sarna.net as well.

You will need to use DOSBOX probably to install it though. Place the patch in your Mercs install folder. Then use dosbox to navigate to that folder and run the patch from there.
Trigger
I.S. Mech Washer

Post by Trigger »

Awesome, ill try that. Thanks mate
Trigger
I.S. Mech Washer

Post by Trigger »

Patching it didnt work. Seems like my only option is finding a way for a connection type to come up in mercs battlepack
Striker

Post by Striker »

What happens when you try and patch it?
Trigger
I.S. Mech Washer

Post by Trigger »

it updates all the files for 1.05 then again for 1.06, then i try to load game again and unable to find cd.
Striker

Post by Striker »

Hmm interesting.

Ok, well if it helps here is how I normally install my Merc game:

1) Get MechVM on this site and extract the contents into a folder somewhere on your c:\ drive
2) Create a bin/cue image of your CD (not sure if .iso or other images work, but that is what I do). Put the image into your MechVM folder
3) Use a virtual CD drive like Virtual Clone Drive to mount that image (you do not need the cd in your drive at this point)
4) Run MechVM and goto install+import at the top. Press the associated install button just under the bar at the top. It will ask you for your CD Image, so point it to the image you created in the MechVM folder
5) Put the 1.05 patch in your MechVM\Games\mw2-merx folder
6) Use dosbox, go into that folder and run the 1.05 patch. Make sure not to install it using the default directory but the directory where Mercs is actually installed in (that mw2-merx folder)
7) Run the projpat file afterwards.
8) Install the 1.06 patch (no need to run projpat after the above step)
9) Run the game from MechVM. Goto play game, and select the DOS version of Mercs
Trigger
I.S. Mech Washer

Post by Trigger »

Followed your instructions to the letter, still got the dreaded message insert the mercenaries cd :(

Before the game actually loads to the callsign and connection screen, I see in the dosbox window c mounted as ../games or whatever and D imgmounted as the image so thats all good and the tunnelling works. I try to host a game and it wants to know where the cd is XD I was actually excited coz i havent been able to get mechvm to install dosbox before thought it might do the trick
Striker

Post by Striker »

Yeah it is strange that it thinks it needs the cd. Is this problem just Mercnet, or do you experience it with the main game too?
Trigger
I.S. Mech Washer

Post by Trigger »

Yea the game too, if i try to go straight into mercs it wont find the cd, and cant host in mercnet.

Thanks for being patient I've been bustin to play this for a long time ever since i was a kid really so im gonna keep trying till something good happens. Appreciate the help!