I finally got MW2 Mercs to run in DOSbox.. almost.

Issues with mercs? Post it up here!
Forum rules
Please provide the following when making a support request.
1. OS & Service Pack.
2. Version of Mercenaries that is being used.
3. If you are using 95 Mercs, please provide what method you are using to run it? (ie. Kontza's or Slugs Hook)
4a. If you are using DOS have you read the install guide?
4b. If you are using 95 have you watched the 95 install video?
5. What were the steps that you did after the initial installation? (if applicable)
jdm5000
I.S. Baby

Post by jdm5000 »

After finishing the first mission, betty says, "MISSION SUCCESSFUL!" I get a dos screen full of errors for a split second (can't read it fast enough) and then I get the mission failed screen... so I can't proceed to mission 2.

Thoughts? I've got the retail version 1.5
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: I finally got MW2 Mercs to run in DOSbox.. almost.

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

(Post moved to the Mercenaries tech support section)

Could you please tell us what steps you took and the exact version of Mercenaries that you are attempting to run?
It does matter because some versions that come with mercs don't work properly for DOS.

Also, have you tried mechvm yet?
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
jdm5000
I.S. Baby

Post by jdm5000 »

I have the MS-DOS/Windows 95 retail version 1.05. CD says "CD2-3580-101-U3" on the label. It's the 2nd to last image listed on the version guide: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=281

I used Alcohol 120% to create a BIN+CUE and mounted that in DOSBOX 0.74 and installed it from DOS. Everything works until I complete the first mission.

I have not tried MechVM yet.. does it work in Win7 64-bit? I don't have any XP machines anymore. I'm not sure XP Mode will work since it essentially uses RDP and full screen applications usually don't work.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Yeah MechVM works on Windows 7 64bit. Takes like 2-3 clicks and it installs it all in DOSBOX.
Give that a try first. If it does not work I'll see what I can do, but that is by far the simplest solution, so i'd rather have you try that first before I go through all the install steps. :)

Also, regarding the first mission.. if I recall correctly Mercenaries has a problem with taking a commando on the first mission in DOS.
I could be wrong on that though, but I know one mission does not like that mech. I'd suggest trying one new game and selling off the commando for something else then trying the mission again.
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
jdm5000
I.S. Baby

Post by jdm5000 »

That was it.. I ditched the Commando and everything worked like a champ

Thanks for the help!
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

np, glad to hear it worked! :)