Where is the 3DFX install location at?

Issues with mercs? Post it up here!
Forum rules
Please provide the following when making a support request.
1. OS & Service Pack.
2. Version of Mercenaries that is being used.
3. If you are using 95 Mercs, please provide what method you are using to run it? (ie. Kontza's or Slugs Hook)
4a. If you are using DOS have you read the install guide?
4b. If you are using 95 have you watched the 95 install video?
5. What were the steps that you did after the initial installation? (if applicable)
winmxsn7@aol.com
I.S. Baby

Where is the 3DFX install location at?

Post by winmxsn7@aol.com »

Hi guys, I can't seem to find the file location to the 3DFX version of Mercs (from the Trilogy set) got copied to after I installed it with MechVM.

I've installed two other versions of Mercs successfully and they run fine but with terrible resolutions. I find those in the "games" file location within MechVM. The 3DFX will load in a higher resolution but will crash as soon as it loads the first mission.

I'm trying to use the injectorHook, but as I said, I cant find the 3DFX file location. Its not in the "games" folder in MechVM file location with the others. I noticed the 3DFX version loads with the help of DosBox that came with the current version of MechVM and I cant find the 3DFX file folder there either.

Any suggestions? Thanks for the help.

And this site IS amazing. Kudos to the creators. These games will never die; Such classics.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: Where is the 3DFX install location at?

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

hmm, i am honestly kinda confused on your version.
Is it titanium or a 3dfx interactive version?

The 3dfx interactive version is pretty buggy and doesn't work very well.
Titanium has similar problems, but not as many as that version.

Anyway all installs in mechvm (to my knowledge anyway) go to a subfolder in the mechvm folder called games.
Check there. It might be under a different name than you are expecting possibly.

Also with regards to DOSBOX and the 3dfx version... to my knowledge this version is not DOS based, so I am not sure why mechvm would do that. If it is going via dosbox then it is using a DOS version of mercs.

Welcome to the site :)
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
winmxsn7@aol.com
I.S. Baby

THanks for the reply. I've checked in the games folder.. and it doesnt seem to be there. The other two versions I have installed ARE there.. but the 3DFX version isn't that I can tell.

Its the interactive version I believe. - It gets all the way up to the first mission; starts the music; and then crash's.

And yes, for some reason its loading DosBox before it runs.

I'm just not sure whats going on; open to suggestions.

Thanks again
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

@Skyfaller: Do you have any idea's?

Well, winxsn, have you tried to install the game without mechvm? That is about the only suggestion I can make atm I am not quite sure what the issue is.
As I said though, the name of the folder may be different than what you expect. So if you have 3 games installed and one doesn't match the other games that probably is it.

Edit: I don't know your OS, so if thats not possible lemme know. If you come on IRC sometime next day or two I might be able to help you better to sort it out.
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
winmxsn7@aol.com
I.S. Baby

Okay! update! I deleted everything from the games folder and Re-installed the 3DFX version. I followed the instructions to the hook and it seemed it didn't help.

I also tried running it without MechVM but I get an error message about NT compatibilty.

Its not a big deal I suppose but this particular 3DFX version gives the highest resolution and for some reason is the only one that is able to play the music when the mission loads.( Which crashs almost immediately.

Thanks for the help. Any more suggestions; I'll definatley try.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

I wish I really did have another suggestion. I'm afraid without seeing the thing via a remote desktop or something I'm not likely to track it down.
Only suggestion I can make it is to pick a DOS copy of Mercs up and run it in DOSBOX really.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

MechVM installs Titanium Trilogy Mercs into MechVM-2011-04-16\games\mw2-mercs-tt. Patches for Titanium Trilogy are listed in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=730

MechVM installs all games into the games subfolder. Some versions are installed into the same folder because the versions are very similar. Please identify your CDs using the guide

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=281

If you are uncertain about which version you have, unzip MechVM to a new folder, install your CD using MechVM in that folder, then post install-report.txt from the appropriate subfolder of MechVM\games.
winmxsn7@aol.com
I.S. Baby

I'll post soon the information you're requiring, in the meantime let me update you.

I did unzip MechVM to a seperate folder and re-installed only the 3DFX interactive version of mercs I want to play. In the "Play Games" tab in MechVM; it gives me 3 options to play from.

1. MW2: Mercenaries (Dos, DosBox)
2. MW2: Mercenaries (Win95, Native)
3. Mw2: MercNet (Dos, DosBox)

Option #1 loads the 3DFX interactive version I want to play. However as I stated it crashes when you load any mission.
Option #2 loads fine but the resolution is 640x800 and looks terrible. Its missing alot of features the 3DFX version has; obviously I didnt need to tell you guys that.

If I try to manually load Mercs without the assistance of MechVM fom the "games" folder within the MechVM folder; it simply loads option #2 and I cant find the 3DFX version of mercs .exe file. The only file present is the MercsWin.exe.

I'll replay shortly with further updates, Thanks again team. You guys rock!
winmxsn7@aol.com
I.S. Baby

Install File Log
Attachments
install-report.txt
(37.93 KiB) Downloaded 448 times
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

In the shell, for MW2 DOS, right-click somewhere to bring up a context menu. Select "Combat Variables" to change the screen resolution. We only know a different method of changing the screen resolution for Titanium Trilogy. For Win95-based games, a menu appears when you move the cursor to the top of screen, then select Options|Combat Variables.

You can find the path of installed games in MechVM.cfg, in the same directory as MechVM.exe. If you are uncertain how to interpret the file, you can post it here.