Convert single heat sinks to double for free

Issues with mercs? Post it up here!
Forum rules
Please provide the following when making a support request.
1. OS & Service Pack.
2. Version of Mercenaries that is being used.
3. If you are using 95 Mercs, please provide what method you are using to run it? (ie. Kontza's or Slugs Hook)
4a. If you are using DOS have you read the install guide?
4b. If you are using 95 have you watched the 95 install video?
5. What were the steps that you did after the initial installation? (if applicable)
White Cat
I.S. Baby

Convert single heat sinks to double for free

Post by White Cat »

I stumbled across this when I upgraded my Atlas, and noticed that it converted all the heat sinks currently on my Mech to the double type, but also charged me $50,000 for each one (the price of pulling them out of each critical slot). With a bit of experimentation, I figured out how to do this for free:

1) Buy a mech from the factory with no heat sinks (or failing that, as few as possible, since in the end you'll be charged 50k for each original one). Smaller mechs are better, since they have more critical spaces available.
2) Customize your new mech and add single heat sinks to every open critical slot. (The price tag will go up 50k each.) It doesn't matter if you exceed the weight limit.
3) Before saving your customizations, use a Heatsink upgrade. All the single heat sinks will be pulled off and converted to doubles. But, since this is considered merely "undoing" the work you just did, then assuming you started with no heat sinks, the price tag drops back to zero!
4) Exit the mech lab and accept your changes. You have now converted all the heat sinks you added into doubles.
5) If desired, you can downgrade the mech back to single heat sinks and redo steps 2-4. Repeat as many times as you like. You can also sell your guinea pig mech back to factory, if you wish (although you'll lose some money on the swap).

Somewhat dishonourable, but it works. :) It also seems that your heatsink upgrades/downgrades are not used up by this procedure. I did this running version 1.06 of Mercs 95 on Windows XP, with Slug's Hook.