More help with Windows 7 Mercs

Issues with mercs? Post it up here!
Forum rules
Please provide the following when making a support request.
1. OS & Service Pack.
2. Version of Mercenaries that is being used.
3. If you are using 95 Mercs, please provide what method you are using to run it? (ie. Kontza's or Slugs Hook)
4a. If you are using DOS have you read the install guide?
4b. If you are using 95 have you watched the 95 install video?
5. What were the steps that you did after the initial installation? (if applicable)
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: More help with Windows 7 Mercs

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

Yes, since its mercs its slightly different.. offhand I think the proper exe is install.exe or similar and I think it is located in a directory called DOS or something like that..

I'd have to look.. can't atm bout to head to bed.. try that though let me know
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
RighBread
I.S. Baby

Post by RighBread »

Alright I found it, opened it, and it told me it was incompatible with the version of windows I was running.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

yes. You need to make an img of the disc with Clone CD as the instructions of the DOSBOX guide indicate.. then mount it in DOSBOX.
After you do that then you run the instructions of the DOS install inside of DOSBOX. It will not run directly in Windows 7.
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
RighBread
I.S. Baby

Post by RighBread »

Sir MMPD Radick wrote:yes. You need to make an img of the disc with Clone CD as the instructions of the DOSBOX guide indicate.. then mount it in DOSBOX.
After you do that then you run the instructions of the DOS install inside of DOSBOX. It will not run directly in Windows 7.
I've done all this. That's the problem I'm trying to get past right now.

I went through the whole thing with creating an image, and went into the DOSBOX configuration file and added the lines as directed. The PROBLEM at this point is that the next step goes right to "install it through DOSBOX" which doesn't make sense to me, since when I open DOSBOX, it sits there waiting for a prompt. The first step in the guide you just linked was to go into the CD and open the INSTALL.EXE or MINST.EXE file.

If what you're saying is that I have to open that file IN DOSBOX, you'll have to explain how, because I'm not seeing any instructions on that.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

in DOSBOX if you have the CD mounted to D: and C: mounted at the directory that the dosbox guide mentions do the following:

Code: Select all

D:
cd DOS
INSTALL.EXE
RighBread
I.S. Baby

Post by RighBread »

It says I have to mount D first. Which I thought I already did by editing the configuration file. Maybe I messed that up?

Here's the lines I added, the only thing I changed from the guide were the paths

mount C C:\DOSBOX\
C:
imgmount D "C:\Mech2.cue" -t iso
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

just to verify the .img file is there at the same location as well right?
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

You could try installing with MechVM again. This time, feed the .CUE to MechVM, and it will probably work. Without the .CUE file, it cannot work.

Also, to what file have you added the imgmount command? When the image is mounted, DosBox will likely print a message about success or failure.
RighBread
I.S. Baby

Post by RighBread »

Sir MMPD Radick wrote:just to verify the .img file is there at the same location as well right?
Well, it doesn't have .img in the file name, but under "type" it says Disc Image File, so I'm assuming that's it, so yes it's in the same location.
Skyfaller wrote:You could try installing with MechVM again. This time, feed the .CUE to MechVM, and it will probably work. Without the .CUE file, it cannot work.

Also, to what file have you added the imgmount command? When the image is mounted, DosBox will likely print a message about success or failure.
Tried with MechVM. Not sure how to feed the .CUE to it. It automatically chooses my disc as a place to install from, and it won't let me choose anything else.

The file I added the imgmount command to was the DOSBOX configuration file, named dosbox-0.74. When I start up Dosbox it does not give me any info on whether it successfully mounted or not, leading me to believe I've missed something or typed it wrong.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

could you come on IRC please? I could remote in and get everything done in 5-10 minutes time or less