More help with Windows 7 Mercs

Issues with mercs? Post it up here!
Forum rules
Please provide the following when making a support request.
1. OS & Service Pack.
2. Version of Mercenaries that is being used.
3. If you are using 95 Mercs, please provide what method you are using to run it? (ie. Kontza's or Slugs Hook)
4a. If you are using DOS have you read the install guide?
4b. If you are using 95 have you watched the 95 install video?
5. What were the steps that you did after the initial installation? (if applicable)
RighBread
I.S. Baby

More help with Windows 7 Mercs

Post by RighBread »

Hey there, I hate to make a brand new thread, but I spent awhile looking through old help threads, and I feel like I'm just not getting it. Anything beyond installing a game is beyond me :l

Anyways, I have Windows 7 64-bit, and I don't even know where to begin. I have both versions of Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries, although I currently can only find the DOS version, and I prefer that one over the Titanium edition anyways. From what I've gathered, am I to assume the DOS version simply won't work at all with 64-bit Windows? I haven't even installed it yet, because I'm not real sure what I'm supposed to be doing with MechVM, and I know that if I were to install it normally that it isn't going to work. I remember getting Mercenaries to work on Windows XP a few years ago, but any and all information that I had on doing it has disappeared from my head.

Is anyone able to break things down even more simply to me? I feel kind of stupid, but I'd love to get the game running again.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: More help with Windows 7 Mercs

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

Yah, you had it right.
Just install it with mechvm and it will install the DOSBOX version of mech2.
Alternatively you could follow the instructions for the DOSBOX method.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
RighBread
I.S. Baby

Post by RighBread »

Alright when I hit "install", it freezes up, and then later pops up with an error telling me it can't find the CD image or something. I'll try the DOSbox method in the meantime though. I do remember that I had a particularly difficult time with this and actually had to have someone do it for me. :oops:

Edit: Alright, I can't even download DOSbox for whatever reason. It gives me an error that says the file can't be changed? Dunno what that even means.

DoubleEdit: Okay, so I can actually get the game to run through MechVM, but whenever I try Instant Action, it just flickers and then goes back to the briefing screen. If I try to play a mission, as soon as i hit launch, it flickers, then goes to the "mission failed - aftermath" screen. Also, it's consistently in windowed mode. Any ideas?
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

*shrugs*

If you come on IRC I can walk you through fixing DOSBOX, but mechvm bugs i'm not sure of myself.
However, if you installed it via mechvm it should have installed to a directory that it mentioned and installed a copy of DOSBOX which you should be able to access directly if i remember correctly
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

I think he is missing the .CUE image.
RighBread
I.S. Baby

Post by RighBread »

Sir MMPD Radick wrote:*shrugs*

If you come on IRC I can walk you through fixing DOSBOX, but mechvm bugs i'm not sure of myself.
However, if you installed it via mechvm it should have installed to a directory that it mentioned and installed a copy of DOSBOX which you should be able to access directly if i remember correctly
Well, I have DOSbox, but how would I run it from that?

Edit: Figured out the CD image file problem.
Last edited by RighBread on Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

did you read the link i posted earlier?
It shows step by step how to get DOSBOX working with mech2.. mercs uses same instructions just 1-2 minor differences with interface
RighBread
I.S. Baby

Post by RighBread »

Sir MMPD Radick wrote:did you read the link i posted earlier?
It shows step by step how to get DOSBOX working with mech2.. mercs uses same instructions just 1-2 minor differences with interface
I did. DOSBOX just sits there when I open it. I'm not real sure what I'm supposed to be doing in order to start the installation.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

its like installing things in DOS.
Check that link for step by step pictures of install
RighBread
I.S. Baby

Post by RighBread »

The only problem is, there is no MINST.EXE or INSTALL.EXE file when I look in the cd files, which kind of kills the process right away.