MW2 Pentium w/Netmech in-game problem

Post up issues you are encountering with MechWarrior 2 here, this includes Netmech.
Forum rules
Search before asking!
No Swearing!
IronChefBoyardee
I.S. Baby

MW2 Pentium w/Netmech in-game problem

Post by IronChefBoyardee »

I'm running XP, trying to play what I assume is the pentium edition (has netmech, 95 only). I installed it using Mechvm, and it initially didn't play, so I renamed _dplay.dll to dplay.dll and still only gives me a gray screen when trying to run. Is there any solution for this?
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Re: MW2 Pentium w/Netmech in-game problem

Post by Skyfaller »

You have two alternatives:
  • Run MW2 in a virtual machine like Virtual PC or VMWare
  • Buy a DOS edition, which runs best with the fewest problems anyway
For NetMech, use either the MechVM plugin or the standalone download. Installing NetMech from CD is currently not supported, because the NetMech client has numerous customizations.
IronChefBoyardee
I.S. Baby

I'm not able to run a virtual machine at this time, and I'm working on finding a copy of the DOS version. So in the meantime I decided to use Slug's patch after installing the 1.1 update. The menus and cinematics ran perfectly, but once it started to get in game, I got a generic "MECH2.EXE has encountered and error and needs to shut down" error message. If there is no way for Mechvm to work, is there a way to fix this problem?
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

95 versions are unpredictable. They work whenever they want to and stop at random.
Some people can run them others cannot. DOS like you said is the easiest version to run on any OS either via DOSBOX or in XP directly.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
IronChefBoyardee
I.S. Baby

Just got the DOS version in the mail and it works perfectly with MechVM. Thanks to everyone who provided advice.