Running MW2 on Windows 98, problems

Post up issues you are encountering with MechWarrior 2 here, this includes Netmech.
Forum rules
Search before asking!
No Swearing!
Khan Tyranitar
I.S. Baby

Running MW2 on Windows 98, problems

Post by Khan Tyranitar »

So I am trying to run MW2 in a virtual machine using Windows 98Se. The game installs off the disks just fine, everything seems to work till I try to launch. I will see a brief flash of the load screen, then the display goes blank black, no sound or anything. CTRL-ALT-DEL doesn't exit out either, I usually have to force a restart. I'm sure some kind of patch or update should fix this, anyone here know what might be causing this? I have not tried Mercs yet, I suspect it will act the same.

I wanted to run in Windows 95 (yes I have a copy of that), but the emulated sound card is not properly supported by 95, so I get no sound, and I do get a crash on launch. In 95 it is a proper crash, with a bunch of technical mumbo-jumbo.

I am focusing on running this in '98 for now, unless someone here has a better solution. I could not get the game to run through MechVM on Windows XP or 7. Running in Dosbox through MechVM doesn't work either, I just get a garbled display.
Khan Tyranitar
I.S. Baby

Re: Running MW2 on Windows 98, problems

Post by Khan Tyranitar »

Seriously, no one has had problems running on Windows 98?
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

It's difficult to check if you don't even mention which edition you are trying to use.
Hadakajime
House Steiner Private
House Steiner Private

Post by Hadakajime »

sounds like a version compatibility problem with how you've setup the virtual machine...?

check what version you have and look it up in this guide:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=281