Help with Bouk Obelisk (failing and I don't know why)

Post up issues you are encountering with MechWarrior 2 here, this includes Netmech.
Forum rules
Search before asking!
No Swearing!
ColdSnowden
I.S. Baby

Help with Bouk Obelisk (failing and I don't know why)

Post by ColdSnowden »

Hi, new to the forums. I'd like to quickly thank you guys for the guides on getting this game to play, couldn't get dosbox to work but MechVM worked great on my XP computer, though not vista.

Anyway it's great to play the old game again, last time I played this I think I was about 14 years old and I remember enjoying it though I remember being extremely frustrated with a mission and just giving up. I'm pretty sure Bouk Obelisk was it. I'm a bit older now and my guess is that you cannot let the enemies get too close to the isotope, but unfortunately I can't seem to take them out quick enough. Is this the case or am I failing for another reason. The friendly unit is intact when I fail and usually about 3 out of the six enemy mechs are dead. Any hints would be great.

Edit: I finally managed to do it even though I failed several times while I had my ally targeted with Q and he clearly had no part of him below yellow, and in other cases could see him standing their intact. Basically my strategy was to just take out weapons on the ones with heavier armor, and make sure I kept with him on his way back. I also found that spreading your weapons out all over the mech's body just makes sense, why one would not do this provided their is room is beyond me. It paid off because I finished the mission with no arms left.

Even though I did this, I am still curious what kind of gltiches this mission may have.
Gunstargreen
I.S. Baby

Re: Help with Bouk Obelisk (failing and I don't know why)

Post by Gunstargreen »

Congrats on beating it. Bouk Obelisk is a tough mission. My strategy for that one is usually to try and take out the Jenners as soon as you spot the enemy 'mechs at the ambush. They become a huge annoyance running around and harassing you if you go after the bigger and slower targets first. I find them pretty notoriously easy to head-shot so taking them out quickly to even the odds is pretty simple. After the Jenners are gone it's usually no trouble mopping up the rest of the ambush 'mechs. Then on the way back I go after the Rifleman and have my Starmate take on the other enemy. Taking out the Rifleman's arms leaves him pretty helpless but he's dangerous if you can't do it quickly.

I never experienced this glitch though, as long as I kept the ally 'mech alive I never got a mission failed.