Blank screen when I Start Campain

Post up issues you are encountering with MechWarrior 2 here, this includes Netmech.
Forum rules
Search before asking!
No Swearing!
Juggernaut444
I.S. Baby

Blank screen when I Start Campain

Post by Juggernaut444 »

Hello,
I downloaded the latest version of MechVM and followed the FAQ's install instructions exactly.
I own the original mechwarrior 2 cd (MECH2: IBM CD-ROM 1.0) the Ghost Bear cd (GHOST BEARS LEGACY - DOS) and the mechwarrior 2 mercs cd (MERCS: RETAIL 1.05 95/DOS)
Using MechVM I imported/installed all the CD's and they seemed to install just fine.
When I click on the Play Game tab in the MechVM program and select the game I want to play and then click Start Campain I get a message saying its starts running the game. I then alt tab to the command line window, then the screen turns black and stays that way untill I alt tab back out of it. When I do this, the MechVM program shows the message Process Ended With Code 0.
I'm not sure how to fix this, I have looked through many forums to try to find the answer, but I came out with nothing.
Thanks for your time and any help would be awesome!
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: Blank screen when I Start Campain

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

Did you try launching the exe directly in the folder where the game was installed?
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Please post the file install-report.txt from where MechVM installed the games as a zipped attachment. For 31stcc DOS 1.0, you need to patch to version 1.1.

Does the "Play game" button fail for all games? Please try launching the games using the .BAT files in the game folders.
Juggernaut444
I.S. Baby

Post by Juggernaut444 »

Sir MMPD Radick wrote:Did you try launching the exe directly in the folder where the game was installed?
Yes, I went to the 'games' folder inside the MechVM folder and clicked the _mw2-31stcc file.
When I do this, a dos command line box appears and then becomes full screen and abruptly closes.
Juggernaut444
I.S. Baby

Post by Juggernaut444 »

Skyfaller wrote:Please post the file install-report.txt from where MechVM installed the games as a zipped attachment. For 31stcc DOS 1.0, you need to patch to version 1.1.

Does the "Play game" button fail for all games? Please try launching the games using the .BAT files in the game folders.
I have patched my mechwarrior 2 game and I still have the same problem.
The play game button fails for all games and when I use the .BAT file in the games folder it will only open for a few seconds and then it abruptly closes.

Thank you so much for your quick responses!
Juggernaut444
I.S. Baby

Post by Juggernaut444 »

Here is the install report
Attachments
install-report.zip
(4.25 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

do you have the disc in the D drive?
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Juggernaut444
I.S. Baby

Post by Juggernaut444 »

I do and it gives me the impression that it see's the CD.
If I take the CD out of the drive it gives me an error saying I need to put the CD in. Once its in the drive and I start the game I get the blank screen.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

You can use DosBox to run the game. MechVM includes DosBox, just start DosBox from its subdirectory in MechVM. Then, you have to mount the games subdirectory as drive C: and you need to create CUE sheet and disk image for your CD and mount that as drive D:. After that, you should be able to launch the game from DosBox. I can help with the commands.

Please post a dxdiag report here - I'd like to know if there's anything special about your system that could explain this.

I remember using VDMSound and SapuCDEx to get the game working. Recently it seems to work without it, but may also be worth a shot. More on this.
Juggernaut444
I.S. Baby

Post by Juggernaut444 »

Ok, I'll give this a try tonight.
Thanks!