Mech2 DOS help

Post up issues you are encountering with MechWarrior 2 here, this includes Netmech.
Forum rules
Search before asking!
No Swearing!
Harpoon
I.S. Baby

Mech2 DOS help

Post by Harpoon »

Hi, im a long time mechwarrior. I have the original unpatched dos version of the game. Last year I got it working great on my XP box, but now im trying to get it to run on my vista one.

So far using DOSBox I have installed the game and patched it, but when I go to run it (C:\mech2) I get the cd can not be found error. I dont really want to download a crack and would prefer not to create and mount the image.

Does anyone know of a trick to get DOSBox to locate the CD drive?
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: Mech2 DOS help

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

Impossible without using a crack.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Harpoon
I.S. Baby

Post by Harpoon »

If you create a folder with the CUE/BIN flies ripped from the cd, then mount it in DOSBOX using IMGMOUNT it will run. It shows the intro and I have sound, now the only problem is that it is not full screen and the mouse is funky right now.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

interesting find, though I have tried exactly that....
Are you using a Dev version or anything?

Well, if you got that far all you do is change fullscreen = true in the conf file.
As for the Mouse Slowness, just use mouse2kv in a batch file and it will work better.

Update: Amazing, just tried it, it actually works now!
Last time I tried just a normal iso without cues and bins, that probably is why.. Thanks for the find, I am quite impressed!
However it does crash after exiting a missio, but the mousefix i told ya works.
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Harpoon
I.S. Baby

Post by Harpoon »

Its running perfect now. I forgot to check the jump jets, but other than that it runs great in fullscreen if you change DOSbox config "output = opengl". it has not crashed yet and even netdemo looks like it would work if I had someone to play.
*edit*
I have not patched yet. the last two times i tried it would not even start.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Not sure if you are aware, but we have a presetup dosbox installer for netmech if you are interested.
If not pretty much what you need to do to connect the servers is to add the line IPXNET CONNECT dosbox.game-server.cc 10000 at the bottom and netmech will work.

However, since no one sits in the lobby you will have to get the netmech dosbox download we have setup, because it has a chat client in it which is seperate.
Otherwise, it is unlikely you will find a game very easily unless ya set one up through the boards.
Tigerboy
I.S. Baby

Post by Tigerboy »

another way to to get DosBox to find the cd is put a command (mount d e:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -ioctl) in the autoexec section at the end of dosbox.conf. the drive letters and usecd numbers will need to match your system. this mounts my e cd-rom drive as d. I had to do that for the DOS Tie fighter.
Harpoon
I.S. Baby

Post by Harpoon »

Ya I tried the mount cdrom thing first, it would install but not play.

Sorry for the long wait for a reply I was busy doing stuff and playing the campaign. I would definitely be down for playing a couple matches at some point, I played some king of the hill with you guys a while ago. Ill be honest though, I really got my fingers crossed hoping there will be a new simulation style mechwarrior in the near future, our multiplayer as it is now really makes it hard to use fun stuff like active/passive radar and general tactics.