No music in dosbox

Post up issues you are encountering with MechWarrior 2 here, this includes Netmech.
Forum rules
Search before asking!
No Swearing!
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: No music in dosbox

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

if you are not seeing music tracks on the disc in windows media player(or some other player) then it is not the Pentium edition or it was burned without the music tracks.
Secondarily the pentium edition is not the recommended version on the forum.. it is like the last resort version because it only has 95 on it.
Since you have DOS on it then it cannot be the Pentium edition unless it is a non retail version. If it is something other than the Megamedia bundle edition there is no guarantee that there are music tracks.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
macflav
I.S. Baby

Post by macflav »

Managed to get it running with Ubuntu 12.04 + DOSBox + ".cue" from my original MW2 CD.

Funny (actually annoying) thing: whenever I'm in combat, I hear this loud background white-noise. My guess is, due to a sort of bug somewhere (DOSBox?), the game "tries" to play track #1 (which we know is data, not audio).

My workaround (to make the game "playable") was turning the system volume down, but then I can hardly hear the sound effects. Tried tweaking the in-game menu "SET AUDIO VOLUME", no luck: nothing happens when I slide the "Music" bar, even setting it to miminum, the white noise is still there; when I move to the other bars ("SoundEffects" or "Voice"), the white noise disappears (thus my conclusion that the annoying loud noise is indeed "music", or supposed to be). Unfortunately, exiting the menu back into combat makes the undesired sound start over.

I'll end up making an ".iso" image instead of the buggy ".cue".

[OFF-TOPIC]: Another funny (?) side effect I noticed: when I have the "original CD" (image) mounted, NetMech doesn't work: it tells me to insert the MW2 CD! Hopefully it works fine when nothing is mounted...
MechWarrior fan since '91
macflav
I.S. Baby

Post by macflav »

Regarding my last post: I managed to create an ".iso" image that's only 115.1 MB in size (obviously, it contains only the data track from the original CD). Game's working like a charm now -- no music, but I don't miss the background noise at all!
MechWarrior fan since '91
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

well sorry to hear about the noise but i am glad to hear you have it running at the least. That is a relief to hear
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Havokq3
House Steiner Corporal
House Steiner Corporal

Post by Havokq3 »

Hello,

I am having a similar problem with music in 31stcc and GBL. I have tried mounting the .cue file as instructed, though this only results in the game quitting and a message that reads: "Error: MechWarrior 2 CD-ROM not found." The game runs fine when I mount the .bin image, with the exception of music, which doesn't play. Any ideas on how to fix this?
The year is 2015. For a Mail Officer, LIFE is WAR, and DEATH is the only true peace.
Chickenegg01
I.S. Baby

Post by Chickenegg01 »

Havokq3 wrote:Hello,

I am having a similar problem with music in 31stcc and GBL. I have tried mounting the .cue file as instructed, though this only results in the game quitting and a message that reads: "Error: MechWarrior 2 CD-ROM not found." The game runs fine when I mount the .bin image, with the exception of music, which doesn't play. Any ideas on how to fix this?
Maybe you can make more use of this than me.
README.txt
(1.04 KiB) Downloaded 643 times