I Just Want To Play, Someone Please Help!

Post up issues you are encountering with MechWarrior 2 here, this includes Netmech.
Forum rules
Search before asking!
No Swearing!
Matt Starr
I.S. Baby

I Just Want To Play, Someone Please Help!

Post by Matt Starr »

I have the original MechWarrior 2 Pentium Ed. for Win. 95 (non retail) that came with my pc I bought back in 1997. I found it in my basement last year and still cannot find a deffinative answer on how to get it to work.

Here's all my computers info:
HP G650 Notebook PC / OS: Vista
Intel pentium dual cpu t3200 @2.00GHz Processor
3GB Ram
32-bit Operating System

I just want to play my MechWarrior 2 and Im sick of reading forums cause I really dont know much about computers so i dont really understand much of whats being said to do. I tried the Mechvm and clicking install did nothing and would eventually say "program has stopped working"

I can completely install Mech2 but when i go to play a black screen pops up for half a second then goes away and nothing happens.

Someone please healp
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: I Just Want To Play, Someone Please Help!

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

Unfortunately since you are on vista I cannot give you a straight answer since I do not use that OS.
By your description it sounds like you have not set the compatibility mode to 98 on the mech2.exe, but I do not know that.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Matt Starr
I.S. Baby

Post by Matt Starr »

Sir MMPD Radick wrote:Unfortunately since you are on vista I cannot give you a straight answer since I do not use that OS.
By your description it sounds like you have not set the compatibility mode to 98 on the mech2.exe, but I do not know that.
First of all, you are my hero! I watched your youtube video last night but it took me awhile to realize it was you.

Ok so heres whats going on now, I followed all the instructions in your video and so far the only thing thats not working is the patch from slug doesnt work. After all the compatibility stuff was done the game will now kinda launch but the screen just stays black. So I know im getting somewhere now.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

Thanks for your kind words, I appreciate it. :)

You may want to consider the alternative method though not shown in the video: Slug's Hook.
Usually once that is setup, if it is not working it means it will probably never work without alot of hastle.

The 95 version is usually either hit or miss.. the success rate for that version is very low.
The best advice I can give really if this fails is to buy a DOS version. Using DOSBOX has the highest success rate.
So long as your computer is decent speed (obviously is if you run vista) DOSBOX usually works the best.

As for your current stuff with regards to the black screen... are you seeing that when you open the program or is it when you hit launch in the shell?
If it is the former then it should be fixable.. but if it is the latter then it is indicative that your probably not going to get it working.

I am sorry I cannot provide more information. :(
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Hank
House Steiner Private
House Steiner Private

Post by Hank »

Interesting, we have the same computer,
(only diffence is that i have the G60 not G65)
but yes it is "possible" just difficult.