Titanium works fine...trying to get Pentium 95

Post up issues you are encountering with MechWarrior 2 here, this includes Netmech.
Forum rules
Search before asking!
No Swearing!
je2000
I.S. Baby

Titanium works fine...trying to get Pentium 95

Post by je2000 »

Hi,

So I figured out how to get Titanium edition working. I then realized this was not the version I had all those years ago. I want the orange skies and non-camo mechs. I've got the Mech 2 95 retail edition. When it installs, it just sort of cuts out at the end. No finish button. However it appears to be installed, and after updating to 1.1, setting to 95 compatability, and running various patches and hooks it'll run, up until I actually want to play. I can navigate the setup menu fine and clan hall and everything, but the second I go to actually play it cuts out and crashes.

I'm trying to figure out how to run this MechVM installer, however I doubt it's going to work. Where can I get instruction for this program? I've looked here and I don't see anything. I'm trying to get a hold of the DOS version, but I'm not sure if this is the same as the Pentium edition I had bundled into my MS Sidewinder joystick. I'm not impressed with the camo mechs and plain sky...just trying to play a non-camo, non blue sky, non-wireframe edition of MW2. Is the DOS version wireframe only?

EDIT: Also I'm wondering about the Titanium edition of just MW2. I couldn't get the VooDoo application to alter screen size and video filtering at all. I guess if it's anything Titanium, even MW2, I'm going to have camo mechs and a plain blue sky? Part of the appeal for me was landing on different planets and having an alien sky...
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: Titanium works fine...trying to get Pentium 95

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

Sorry to hear of your trouble with mechvm.
It actually is pretty simple though. All you need to do is unzip it and run the exe.
After that click the install button and set the location you want to install to.
Then just wait until it is done and it should be working when you go to that dir.

As for mech2 DOS, it is identical except for the shell with the 95 vanilla edition of mech2.
I would not worry about it being different.

Now with regards to the 95 version and your crashes well i am afraid if you have tried all of the patches your kinda out of luck with it.
It is a 50/50 chance of actually working. Sometimes it does sometimes it does not. No one knows why. DOS is your best hope.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
je2000
I.S. Baby

Post by je2000 »

Sir MMPD Radick wrote:Sorry to hear of your trouble with mechvm.
It actually is pretty simple though. All you need to do is unzip it and run the exe.
After that click the install button and set the location you want to install to.
Then just wait until it is done and it should be working when you go to that dir.

As for mech2 DOS, it is identical except for the shell with the 95 vanilla edition of mech2.
I would not worry about it being different.

Now with regards to the 95 version and your crashes well i am afraid if you have tried all of the patches your kinda out of luck with it.
It is a 50/50 chance of actually working. Sometimes it does sometimes it does not. No one knows why. DOS is your best hope.
I got the mechvm to run, however it's definitely making things weirder. It says it installed then I go to play and I'm presented with a single white hill and black sky. Okaaaay....

I never knew about the other versions, I really think the Titanium is ugly compared to the "original MW2". No textures but I liked that look. I'm sure I'll get it eventually. I'm not finding any DOS copies on ebay but Amazon has a few.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Please post a screenshot. Results with the Pentium Editions vary ...
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

I would be very wary about amazon... 3 out of 4 of the orders i made with regards to mech2 were the wrong versions.
Ebay is much safer
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
je2000
I.S. Baby

Post by je2000 »

Well, it says DOS version specifically. We'll see.

Here is the MechVM screenshot. I installed normally, upgraded to 1.1, applied the Mech2XPv3 patch. Starts up fine until I go to play the mission. Opened MechVM, hit instant action and was presented with what you see. Not able to move and no sound. Weird. MWhook isn't working properly...not sure how to apply it. I had it create an icon just once, but I can't get that to happen again, therefore I don't think it's being applied. There is a small chance if I apply the mwhook correctly this time I may be in luck. Also there is this XVI32 Hex editor I have but I have no idea how to use it. The youtube instructions aren't that great.

OK, so it turns out, I can move around the environment in the below picture with AWSD keys. it's pretty small and the land just sort of drops off. You guys ever see this before?
MechVM.JPG
MechVM.JPG (112.2 KiB) Viewed 7383 times
je2000
I.S. Baby

Post by je2000 »

Also figured I'd show you what happens when I move beyond the edge, and the error report. I am missing an xml file?
mechvm2.JPG
mechvm2.JPG (125.25 KiB) Viewed 7384 times
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

heh, je2000 you mixed up mechvm's game with mech2. sorry about that
look for mech2 in the directory that it installed to. Do not launch through mechvm. It only installs it.
After it installs the game is already setup and ready to play. You should not need to make any changes further.
je2000
I.S. Baby

Post by je2000 »

Great news! I used the same disc image and installed Win95 version of Mech2 on my HTPC out in the living room. It starts up flawlessly! I'd rather be playing on my office PC but hey at least it's working!

I sure wish we could all pin point whatever is causing this to happen, as it's obvious here that it's something to do individual PC settings. Both machines are running XP.

I was able to reverse the mouse in titanium, but I think the input file is different for win95. Which file and line should I be looking for on Win95 version?
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain