Video card recommendations.... DOS ?

Post up issues you are encountering with MechWarrior 2 here, this includes Netmech.
Forum rules
Search before asking!
No Swearing!
memnoch
I.S. Mech Washer

Video card recommendations.... DOS ?

Post by memnoch »

Rebuilding a pure DOS machine and finding my thrustmaster controllers one by one.... LOL

Anyone using pure DOS or used to with MW2 and/or MW2/Mercs retail normal installs ? (Not special versions). Recommendations please as I need to buy a video card for it. Its AGP, and won't go over 4x AGP afaik. It ran a Geforce 5200 ok, but those cards suck bad.

Appreciate your help!
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: Video card recommendations.... DOS ?

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

3dfx voodoo 5 5500 is the most optimal for all normal versions of mech2.

I doubt you will find dos drivers for that card though, you really are better off running windows 98 imo. It is alot easier for drivers and plays just the same.
If you must have Pure DOS 6.... then probably Voodoo 1 which can bearly run mercs properly on high specs...
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
memnoch
I.S. Mech Washer

Post by memnoch »

Sir MMPD Radick wrote:3dfx voodoo 5 5500 is the most optimal for all normal versions of mech2.

I doubt you will find dos drivers for that card though, you really are better off running windows 98 imo. It is alot easier for drivers and plays just the same.
If you must have Pure DOS 6.... then probably Voodoo 1 which can bearly run mercs properly on high specs...
Back in the day when it was time to lock down my OmniMech in the dropship for insertion, I always chose pure DOS as an OS. Far more stable and reliable.

Thanks VERY much for the suggestion....

How about a PCI card? I see my little soon-to-be-DOS box has 1 AGP, 4 PCI, and 2 ISA slots. The sound card is in an ISA slot, and works fine. The second ISA slot will hold my old Thrustmaster ACM Game Card (aka serial port on stearoids) which TM made specifically for chained FLCS/TQS/RCS type combinations.

Sorry I am clueless on the video card, I cannot remember what I used so long ago, and these days for WoW I'm using a pair of C295s in SLI mode, and I doubt MW2 would even see them. Heh.

Also, I've found all my old boxes the MW2 and MW2:Mercs2 stuff came in, so I have the little "manuals" and such. They all say they want a VLB or PCI video card, but I'm assuming they can see an AGP card just fine ? The old nVidia Geforce 5200 I threw away from the DOS box was way too dark when I ran MW2 just to see if it would run with what was there.
Archon
House Liao Private for Life

Post by Archon »

lol I still have my 5500 at home :mrgreen:
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Thats the thing and why I suggest 98 because DOS cannot see a Geforce card as there is no drivers.
Neither could it see a Voodoo 5 5500 which is why if you want a video card for dos you have to go back to cards which bearly run mercs properly.
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
memnoch
I.S. Mech Washer

Post by memnoch »

Sir MMPD Radick wrote:Thats the thing and why I suggest 98 because DOS cannot see a Geforce card as there is no drivers.
Neither could it see a Voodoo 5 5500 which is why if you want a video card for dos you have to go back to cards which bearly run mercs properly.
I'll see what I can come up with. Using MW2HOOK I was able to bring MW2 up in XP and it runs fantastic on my "medium" machine which only has a Geforce 8800 in it. Sound is ok, a little off in places, but not bad. The mech action is really smooth though, so maybe I can run it in XP. Just need to figure out how to get my controls hooked up. If it turns out the rudders work as crappy as they did with MW4, I'm going to give up on that avenue. Heh.

I just managed to find the little DOS tuning programs for the Thrustmaster FLCS, TQS, and RCS again, and found my original TMScope floppy today while searching for some other stuff.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Yes, XP works the best for mech2 at this stage. I agree 100%
DOS version of mech2 probably runs probably the best on XP though.

Read the Guide in the FAQ section for more info or there are videos in the videos section.
Either way you probably will need to use in addition to mech2 cpugrab or something.
memnoch
I.S. Mech Washer

Post by memnoch »

Well, getting close to buying a Viper 770 which will probably work well, or a Voodoo Banshee, or a TNT2.

Was out in the garage looking for stuff other day, found a replace pot from Thrustmaster still in the mailer for my RCS (in case I need it), and the original cd-rom for my AWE64 soundblaster, and lo-and-behold, it has DOS driver install section on it. Woohoo, no more generic Creative Labs drivers. :)

Going to stick with DOS as it was always more reliable than Win95/98 ..... tried many times when we landed on contested planets to stay in 95/98 and crashed/froze every time. Nothing worse than being in a circle of death with me in my Summoner against some I.S. surat with an Atlas (hey, we bid way down for the sake of honor) and I know I'm about to leg him and the darn screen freezes in 98 long enough for me to get alpha-striked.

Whereas in DOS, I never once crashed, froze, and earned my Star Colonel rating by always going after the I.S. freeborn scum who came with jump jets and inferno missiles even though they bid them away. Loved shooting them out of the sky! :)

Those of you left here, rock! Glad to have found you!