MW2 and Windows 7

Post up issues you are encountering with MechWarrior 2 here, this includes Netmech.
Forum rules
Search before asking!
No Swearing!
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

MW2 and Windows 7

Post by Skyfaller »

After I traced some clicking noises and desktop freezes in my PC to my 5-year-old harddisk, I installed the new disk with Windows 7 Release Candidate. I get the impression that they managed to bring back Windows XP's speed and enhanced the look over Vista's, and there are more switches to force Windows Explorer back into classic look&behaviour ...

This raises the question of what Windows 7 means for the MW2 community.

DosBox 0.73: Problems with slow palette changes in full screen mode, followed by a crash or crackling noise, but NetMech, 31stCC, GBL and Mercs worked fine in windowed mode, even in 1024x768.

Titanium Trilogy: works with the distance and resolution patches, only GBL has the "Keshik max. defined tonnage"/overweight bug.

Battlepack: no luck here.

Windows/Pentium Editions:
31stCC: crashes when starting the sim
GBL: can't enter sim, my edition seems to have the mech lab disabled (Essential Collection, made in EU)
Mercs: Didn't run at all

Windows 7's XP mode is a special edition of VirtualPC that will be available with Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate or Windows 7 Enterprise and allows you to use Windows XP from Windows 7, supposedly with fewer installing and licensing hassle:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtua ... nload.aspx

Your CPU needs special virtualization support. This is called Vanderpool Technology by Intel, or AMD-V by guess-who. There are tools to check this:

Intel
AMD

Unfortunately, my Windows 7 test system is not compatible with Virtual PC :(

Update: I was able to resolve the DosBox palette problems using

Code: Select all

output=opengl
rather than

Code: Select all

output=surface
in section [sdl] of dosbox.conf.