Jump Jets, Ice speed, Missiles, AI

Post up issues you are encountering with MechWarrior 2 here, this includes Netmech.
Forum rules
Search before asking!
No Swearing!
theliberator
I.S. Baby

Jump Jets, Ice speed, Missiles, AI

Post by theliberator »

I've been looking around and I havent been able to find anyone with the same issues, no matter what keywords i use.

so heres my problem, I can get Mech2 working on Xp, but it comes with some glitches. i have used slugs hook, which worked first time.

1. Missles fly extremely slow and often explode while CHASING a slow mech, before impact. The also often explode as they launch from my Chassis, caussing massive internal damage by shooting myself. I;ve noticed this only usually happens with Stormcrow and maddog, the timberwolf works perfectly.

2. jumpjets used to cool down after time, so they were infinite, but now there seems to have a fuel limit. whats going on here? jets are like essential for some hit and run missions.

3. My speed on Ice is EXTREMELy slow for the engine and tonnage used for the mech. i had a firemoth set up with nothing but and Xl engine, speed of 180kph or something and only got a speed of 140kph. is this normal? i dont remember it being so hard before?

4. The AI is acting even more spazzy then i remember 10 years ago. sometimes i'll play a mission and the AI will be reaally easy, barely firing a shot, other times i'll be using all my ammo and overheating myself and barely scratching the same mech when i replay. anyone else had this issue?
"Remember Tukayyid!!!"
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: Jump Jets, Ice speed, Missiles, AI

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

Good posting been a while since I have seen this issue.
1. Missles fly extremely slow and often explode while CHASING a slow mech, before impact. The also often explode as they launch from my Chassis, caussing massive internal damage by shooting myself. I;ve noticed this only usually happens with Stormcrow and maddog, the timberwolf works perfectly.
Simple answer is that your cpu is too fast and the missiles are exploding too early because of that.
2. jumpjets used to cool down after time, so they were infinite, but now there seems to have a fuel limit. whats going on here? jets are like essential for some hit and run missions.
Same as above, your CPU is too fast and the jets are not charging properly.
3. My speed on Ice is EXTREMELy slow for the engine and tonnage used for the mech. i had a firemoth set up with nothing but and Xl engine, speed of 180kph or something and only got a speed of 140kph. is this normal? i dont remember it being so hard before?
Normal.
4. The AI is acting even more spazzy then i remember 10 years ago. sometimes i'll play a mission and the AI will be reaally easy, barely firing a shot, other times i'll be using all my ammo and overheating myself and barely scratching the same mech when i replay. anyone else had this issue?
hehe, yes the AI is strange like that. There are two mechs in particular which are really frusterating in this game: nova, and Rifleman. Those mechs are completely unpredictable.
Basically your right sometimes the AI is genuinely good, but others dumb as a log. Not much can be done with this other than keep playing really.

Anyway bottom line for your main question is that you need to use cpugrab or something similar to it.
If you are on a dual or quad core machine you will have to run an instance of cpugrab attached to every cpu, and finally you will have to slave mech2 to one core only.
Highlander suggests that you could just slave it to one cpu and then slave cpugrab to that in order to get the same results, but that does not always work.
Your just goona have to play with cpugrab until you get a result that you want.

If you are on vista you can use a batch file that archon put together to get an easier setup.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
theliberator
I.S. Baby

Post by theliberator »

hey thanks for the help Mate!

the cpuGrab worked after a little adjusting, and now it works jsust like i remember! Yay!
"Remember Tukayyid!!!"
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

np, glad it helped!
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Brandt
I.S. Baby

Post by Brandt »

Heh. I'm reminded of a short little exchange I had with Radick.

Me-Hey, did the Wolf mechs ever actually use their weapons on your Bone Machine Firemoth run?
Him-Huh, guess not.

Still, from what I remember from playing the game calling your computer opponets' intelligence "artificial" is being way too kind in any case.
Heresy is Divine
Cyril
House Steiner Warrant Officer First Class
House Steiner Warrant Officer First Class

Post by Cyril »

I been trying to get the original game going so i could play though it again.

I finally have the controls the way i want.

but here is the problem, JJ's are not recharging.

They will recharge in ToGs, but not in missions. I have yet to test it in netmech.

this is without cpu grab running I tried running it, up to 50% but still no change.

another thread mentioned an instance for each CPU, but i have no idea how to do that, can anyone enlighten me?
navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by navbuoy »

#1 CPU Grabber
CPU Grabber gave me smother performance on my Dual Core Athlon X2.
If you have a dual core you will need to set the Affinity of both Game and Grabber to use only One of your CPUs.
This is what I found on another site...reading further down I saw someone actually disabled one of his cores and just ran off the one to get his game working right. Yet another actually turned his battery power to 100% on his laptop to get it to play nice.

There's also programs like Cpukiller as well as MoSlo...so maybe one or two of them working together might do the trick as it has for others man?