Mechlab Crash in 95 Retail

Post up issues you are encountering with MechWarrior 2 here, this includes Netmech.
Forum rules
Search before asking!
No Swearing!
Brandt
I.S. Baby

Mechlab Crash in 95 Retail

Post by Brandt »

I have an XP (service pack 3) machine, and using Sir Radick's installation guide (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCyNMEhT ... annel_page) I was able to get my old copy of the Retail Pentium Edition up and running. However, when I tried to save a custom variant for a 'mech the game would crash. After that the game would then crash whenever the mechlab tried to even cycle through the chassis I had attempted to customize.
Anyone know a fix for this? Shredding foes with your AC20-equipped Jenner is just one of those perverse joys that made Mechwarrior 2 so damn fun.
Heresy is Divine
blackyoshi1230
House Steiner Private
House Steiner Private

Re: Mechlab Crash in 95 Retail

Post by blackyoshi1230 »

Sorry, have the same problem as you. Service Pack 3, from what I hear, DOES NOT WORK MECH2 95 AT ALL. If you got SP2 or earlier, fine (if you have pre-exploding missiles, just get CPUGrab). If not, just get a Vanilla (cross-platform) or straight up DOS disc.

For multi-account users on XP/Vista: The game runs best on an administrator account, and for that to work out: Be sure you're running the game from the account you installed it from (this does not install to all accounts!). If you're running from another account, use the "Run As" feature to play it.
BlackYoshi: "In war, there are no true winners".
NotSid: "There are those who die, and those who don't". (Quote made Dec 16, 2008 at a 7P Avon session at 8-9PM PST)
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

Actually it does run in SP3 that is not accurate.
However, it does not run on every machine... that is why i avoid the 95 versions it is very random.
blackyoshi is right though when he says that DOS works. I would highly recommend that you buy a DOS version.

Anyway if you want to try installing the 95 version again what ya need to do is 1st install the hook that slugmade and combine it with the rar file that i mentioned in the video which has the shell dll. After that it should run after you have set the compatibility setting on mech2.exe. Also you must set the switches so that the mechlab fix and I think the startup(unsure) fix is disabled in the hook.

If this method fails then your machine cannot run it(at least not without a format or vmware).

If you need help I will be available on IRC later this afternoon, and I would be glad to remote in and try and fix it.
But I can tell you that if the method above fails there probably is nothing I can do.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

What is all the deal with SP3? Why not just uninstall it so it will downgrade to SP2 so you will have less problems? :?:
MechWarrior 2: 31stCC
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

problems.. cmon SP3 is way better than SP2.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

I guess I shouldn't tell my younger brother that just after I removed SP3 on his computer so it would "enhance" his Red Alert 2 gameplay. :lol:
MechWarrior 2: 31stCC