Mech2 installation on Vista?

Post up issues you are encountering with MechWarrior 2 here, this includes Netmech.
Forum rules
Search before asking!
No Swearing!
(Undecided)
I.S. Baby

Mech2 installation on Vista?

Post by (Undecided) »

Hi, I'm feeling... overwhelmed.
I am using Vista 32 SP1

There is a lot of good information here, but I can't find any sort of checklist of things I need to do to get the game running on Vista. Or for that matter if I can run the game at all.

Right now I am trying to get DOSBox installed (as directed here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=254) but even that is proving confusing to me (thanks to Vista).

Basically, I don't know what I am doing and would really appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: Mech2 installation on Vista?

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

All you need to do in order to get dosbox working in vista is to set the permission for everyone to be able to read and write the dosbox.conf file. Otherwise everything else should work as far as I am aware.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
(Undecided)
I.S. Baby

Post by (Undecided) »

Okay, I'm confused again.
I've gotten DOSBOX working (but not configured)
I've got the image and cue for the MW2 disk

Now from here I am not sure whether to follow the Youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFwSgKEM ... h_response or the install guide for DOSBOX on these forums.

I am using the Netmech edition and was trying to install the MINST.EXE before I configured DOSBOX (not _MINST.EXE). Anyway I got the application is trying to directly access the hard drive and 16-bit subsystem error. I clicked 'ignore' and got another message:

Code: Select all

E:\MINST.EXE
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:0e07 IP:2153 OP:f0 00 f0 37 05 Choose 'Close' to terminate the application
There was an 'ignore' button but I wasn't confident enough to press it.

Any idea what I do now?
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

hmm I am lost on this one myself... try installing inside of dosbox instead of outside of dosbox.
Both install guides will work, but as I said you must set the permission on that dosbox.conf that is the missing step for vista.
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
(Undecided)
I.S. Baby

Post by (Undecided) »

Well, I give up. I got out my old XP computer and had MW2 up and running in under ten minutes.

Thanks a bundle though, I wouldn't have been able to play at all without you.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

sorry it did not work out on vista. Glad you got it working tho on XP.
Let me know if you wish to try again on vista. I would be glad to remote in and try and set it up for you.
saracen16
I.S. Baby

Post by saracen16 »

So, it's only the DOS version that works on Vista, or can you install the Mech2 95 retail edition from DOS (via DOSbox) and get it to work?
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Not exactly no.
The 95 versions do work in vista(least last i checked)(I have not tested SP1).
DOS versions do not work in Vista except through DOSBOX.
saracen16
I.S. Baby

Post by saracen16 »

Sir MMPD Radick wrote:Not exactly no.
The 95 versions do work in vista(least last i checked)(I have not tested SP1).
DOS versions do not work in Vista except through DOSBOX.
Thanks for your reply.

Do I follow the same instructions in your installation guide for XP, or is there a tweak to it?

EDIT: I forgot to add that I have both Mechwarrior 2 31st CC 95 and Titanium editions, and that I have Vista SP1 32-bit. I've tried Slug's Patch and set the compatibility settings with the 95 edition. All I got was a frozen screen and I didn't get the intro movie or beyond.

For the Titanium edition, I almost got it. I used Slug's beta for Titanium, and it only ran when I didn't set any compatibility settings. Even with that, I got to the clan selection screen but it got frozen and didn't budge. I've seen some Youtube videos of MW2:31stCC Titanium on Vista 32-bit, so I was pretty hyped about it.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

You need to use compatibility mode on MW2Win.exe, not on the patch.