Mech2 installation on Vista?

Post up issues you are encountering with MechWarrior 2 here, this includes Netmech.
Forum rules
Search before asking!
No Swearing!
saracen16
I.S. Baby

Re: Mech2 installation on Vista?

Post by saracen16 »

Skyfaller wrote:You need to use compatibility mode on MW2Win.exe, not on the patch.
Sorry, I wasn't being clear. I only changed compatibilities for the Mech2.exe and MW2Win.exe, not the patches themselves.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

Interesting, well you may want to consider kontza's methodfor vista.
That seems to work the best as slugs are not made for vista. Kontza's is not either, but it is OS independant.
You will need to swap the mw2shell.dll though with the one from slugs patch, so if you already have it patched to that back the file up before unpatching.

[rant]Another issue you may want to consider.. avoid titanium.. it is much buggier, and it has a completely different weapons balance compared to the origional game....... let alone a shortened sound track...[/rant]

Anywho, if you need help drop by IRC and I would be glad to help you if I am able.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
saracen16
I.S. Baby

Post by saracen16 »

Sir MMPD Radick wrote:Interesting, well you may want to consider kontza's methodfor vista.
That seems to work the best as slugs are not made for vista. Kontza's is not either, but it is OS independant.
You will need to swap the mw2shell.dll though with the one from slugs patch, so if you already have it patched to that back the file up before unpatching.

[rant]Another issue you may want to consider.. avoid titanium.. it is much buggier, and it has a completely different weapons balance compared to the origional game....... let alone a shortened sound track...[/rant]

Anywho, if you need help drop by IRC and I would be glad to help you if I am able.
Ok, I tried Kontza's method, but it's only for Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries apparently. I might be missing something.

Anyhow, I tried working the Mech2 95 edition on a Windows XP virtual PC with slug's patch and it worked perfectly. Titanium didn't work at all: "fatal error", apparently. Regardless, I'm still trying to get Mech2 95 to work on Vista. I'll drop by the IRC some time next week as I've got some exams to get over with right now. Thanks for your help. :)

P.S. You were right about Mechwarrior 2: Titanium. After looking at the YouTube videos, I realized it didn't look or feel the same.

EDIT: I forgot to say that it felt great to play Mirror Cage again. :)
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Kontza's method was originally for that yes, but it works on both.
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

MechVM installs MW2:Titanium Trilogy with all necessary patches to run under XP and Vista: see MechVM FAQ.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Well, for the other 95 version he had we did a long testing period.. I dunno what version he has but it just plain does not work on Vista.
I have never encountered a version of mech2 95 which did not even open up into the shell... quite unique.