Completely remapping the keyboard

Post up issues you are encountering with MechWarrior 2 here, this includes Netmech.
Forum rules
Search before asking!
No Swearing!
allmhuran
House Steiner Private
House Steiner Private

Completely remapping the keyboard

Post by allmhuran »

Since I no longer have a joystick (boohoo) I would like to completely remap the keybinds for the game. This means, for instance, using ESDF as directional controls, and remapping keys which have default engine binds (eg S for shutdown, E for target nearest enemy).

Unfortunately, editing input.map alone won't get this done, as the game only recognizes certain input "channels" as configurable. Namely, those which are available for selection via the in-game keybinding screen.

Is there any way to override this limitation?
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: Completely remapping the keyboard

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

Well, using dosbox you could remap the controls that way, but I have no experience with that myself.
It would solve your problem though.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Hegemon Chistu
I.S. Baby

Re: Completely remapping the keyboard

Post by Hegemon Chistu »

I've been trying to get Netmech to accept my changes via Notepad to the Input.map file to no avail.

Can anyone lend me some assistance?

I just want to have the mouse inverted (which I sucessfully changed) & remap the equal/minus or the greyplus/greyminus with the UpArrow/DownArrow so the I can control the speed of the mech and the direction of the run with just that cluster of arrows.

Unfortunately everytime I change those mappings it will either crash at/before the desert loading screen or I will drop to the planet and automatically be firing weapon group unless I hold down the CTRL key. At which point I can do any other piloting options w/o ctrl in them, as well as my up/down arrows still moving the stupid torso.

Any Ideas? I tried the new Mechlab utility and noticed you could hit escape and get a config for the input.map file (I guess its that file) But no changes actual occur at the file level that way.

Any advice or a simple post of an imput.map with those changes from default would be awesome!

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4600+
MW2 version: mech2.org's Netmech

Thanks!