Potential treasure here?

Post up issues you are encountering with MechWarrior 2 here, this includes Netmech.
Forum rules
Search before asking!
No Swearing!
chelestra
I.S. Mech Washer

Potential treasure here?

Post by chelestra »

Hi folks just found yer forums after doing a bit of nostalgic searching on the net.
Much to my surprise i found this game (One I played waaay too much in college)is still around.
After reading a bit i find myself in a rare and potentially awesome position.
I would like to play this game again and now that there appears to be some sort of community for it.
In my old box of stored software I find the following:

Mechwarrior 2 : dos version
Netmech: origianl dos version
GBL expansion: dos version
Mercs: 95/dos version
I also have a backed up copy of the mechwarrior2 version 1.1 patch on an old floppy
Is that the most recent patch? do I need it?

How hard is it going to be to get this up and running again and what links can you guys recommend or provide
as assistance in doing so.

I have used dosbox in the past for other programs but not for this. Do I have to in order to run it?

My current OS is winxp sp3, I have a pentium 4 2.53 GHz processor with 1 gig of ram and
two video card options, I have an older ATI radeon 9000 pro in storage, or my current board an
NVIDIA GeForce 7500GS AGP

Knowing I have this "treasure" makes me anxious to get it up and running again.

Awaiting your Response,

Chelestra
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Re: Potential treasure here?

Post by Skyfaller »

Chances are it should work without DosBox under XP. You would need DosBox to install under Vista.

You can either watch MMPD's video for installation instructions, or install using MechVM.

Enjoy! If you have problems, just ask again. We're happy to help.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: Potential treasure here?

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

Yep Skyfaller has it right. DOSBOX is not necessary on XP unless you wish to play multi...
if you want multi you must have dosbox otherwise you must use Kali... which there are no players there anymore..
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.